* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

* Corona Virus Advice

Dear Members and Visitors,

Just in case you've not seen the latest advice / guidelines regarding the Corona Virus (Covid-19), please visit the Government's website via the link below so you can be as up to date as possible.

The UK Government's Advice/Rules on Corona Virus

Also, the NHS website has a lot of useful information.

NHS Corona Virus Advice

I hope you are all following the rules in self-isolating and social-distancing. Only a fool would think they would never catch it and mix with others only to spread it further. Please do follow the guidelines and the Government's rulings.

Be safe, be healthy and be wise.

Regards
Hal
www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk
THIS BOARD IS PUBLIC - VISIBLE TO EVERYONE!

Topic: Milk

Milkman on Fri 19-Oct-2018 | 18:07PM

Milkman

I love Milk
  • Read 36747 times
  • Category Front Page
Comments: 102

andsome on Mon 12-Nov-2018 | 10:39AM
Reply #1

Offline andsome

We drink a lot of it. Cereals in the morning. Copious cups of tea and Horlicks at night. ::)
Gustav Mahler was the worlds finest composer ever of truly great music.

Snowqueen on Mon 12-Nov-2018 | 12:14PM
Reply #2

Offline Snowqueen

I love Milk
Me too, on cereals and by the glassful. Maybe the odd milky coffee . I consider it  a food  I ‘d find difficult to  be without hence I have it delivered to my door .
Brain into gear before mouth into action  

GrannyJ on Mon 12-Nov-2018 | 19:40PM
Reply #3

GrannyJ

I couldn't drink milk by the glass, but do have it on cereal and a small amount in coffee. I have black tea, as far as I'm concerned tea is revolting with milk.

aron on Mon 12-Nov-2018 | 22:42PM
Reply #4

Offline aron

I love milk ! The creamier and colder, the better.  I like to buy the Jersey stuff now and then.. I could drink it by the pint, but have to stop after half, and leave some for coffee, which I like milky and strong.

Years ago when I was deluded into thinking that skimmed stuff was better for you, husband decided rather than put the stuff in his coffee ( why bother - the coffee stayed brown ) he went without.

I got wise and stopped using that wishy washy stuff, and wouldn't buy anything else but full cream now.

Lila1410 on Tue 13-Nov-2018 | 06:34AM
Reply #5

Offline Lila1410

I do usually have skimmed milk, in tea, coffee and on cereal, I don't drink it on its own.

I do buy milk products, cheese, yogurt, rice pud sometimes.

GrannyJ on Tue 13-Nov-2018 | 13:12PM
Reply #6

GrannyJ

I always use skimmed milk, I much prefer it, but I'm happy to have semi skimmed occasionally.
I do love cream on puds  though

aron on Tue 13-Nov-2018 | 21:12PM
Reply #7

Offline aron

When I was young. I used to try and get the top of the milk first, before anyone else had a chance.  I was always told to shake the bottle first ( but never did if I could help it !)

Silvermist on Tue 13-Nov-2018 | 21:51PM
Reply #8

Offline Silvermist

I remember buying a little round rubber gadget which had a tube going through it.  The longer end in the middle went in the top of the bottle (you pulled it down to where the cream ended) and the other end came out of the side.  I can't remember how it worked, squeezed I think, but it then siphoned out the top of the milk which I then used on desserts etc.

I haven't found it, think it pre-dated the internet.
Except where stated otherwise, my posts are my opinion.

Gillian on Tue 13-Nov-2018 | 21:57PM
Reply #9

Offline Gillian

I remember that Silvermist.

I only use full fat milk for milk puddings.   I prefer semi skimmed in tea and coffee and I prefer skimmed if I drink it.

Lila1410 on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 06:30AM
Reply #10

Offline Lila1410

Oh we would never have been allowed to take the cream, my mother poured it off into a separate jug, for puddings etc.

I remember when the bluetits first learned to peck through the lids so my mother got a box for the milkman to put the bottles in if she wasn't at the door when they arrived.

Nowadays all the milk I see seems to be homogenised, so if you want cream you have to buy it separately.

NEGal on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 06:36AM
Reply #11

Offline NEGal

I do remember the frozen milk when young at the door when delivered.
I am fine with semi skimmed milk now though buy at a store.
« Last Edit: Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 06:38AM by NEGal »

Lila1410 on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 06:42AM
Reply #12

Offline Lila1410

Yes, and children putting their bottles on the radiators to thaw out.

(I freeze it now deliberately as I've started getting it delivered weekly to save such frequent trips to the Co-op, as the stuff in the local shop isn't reliably fresh.)

magellan on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 07:34AM
Reply #13

Offline magellan

• Still doing the rounds
  • blue skies debater
I miss my 1/3 pint daily dose bottle from school days, stolen from us by that nasty lady who became future PM.

However, I must admit the classroom often stank of stale stuff especially in winter days.
Think first, write after, otherwise edit swiftly

NEGal on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 07:41AM
Reply #14

Offline NEGal

Were you ever a milk monitor Mag.  ;)

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal