* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

* Corona Virus Advice

Dear Members and Visitors,

Just in case you've not seen the latest advice / guidelines regarding the Corona Virus (Covid-19), please visit the Government's website via the link below so you can be as up to date as possible.

The UK Government's Advice/Rules on Corona Virus

Also, the NHS website has a lot of useful information.

NHS Corona Virus Advice

I hope you are all following the rules in self-isolating and social-distancing. Only a fool would think they would never catch it and mix with others only to spread it further. Please do follow the guidelines and the Government's rulings.

Be safe, be healthy and be wise.

Regards
Hal
www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk
THIS BOARD IS PUBLIC - VISIBLE TO EVERYONE!

Topic: Harassment, Parliament and the BBC

NZ on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 11:59AM
Reply #105

Online NZ

Alone in a lift and a sleazy comment made I would imagine would frighten some young women.

Myra on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 12:11PM
Reply #106

Offline Myra

• 🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄
I don't think that  when I was 20 years old that I would have regarded being told by a man when alone in a lift with him that I filled out my jeans well,  as rather flattering.

I can't  imagine any decent man saying that to a woman in a lift.  That would have scared me.
Don't waste words on people who deserve your silence.   Sometimes the most powerful thing you can say is nothing at all.

SG on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 12:12PM
Reply #107

SG

50 years ago perhaps although even then I think most women were more than capable or dealing with such a low-key situation.

I doubt many modern 20 year old women would turn a hair and in fact, would probably respond with the sort of put-down that would make the man wish he'd kept quiet!

SG on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 12:27PM
Reply #108

SG

A few weeks ago a female member posted that whilst on a bus, a man, a complete stranger to her, had told her she was a very attractive woman.  Some posters, including at least one who has posted here reviling the man in the life and his ilk, seemed to think that was great . . .

Beppy on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:22PM
Reply #109

Online Beppy

• Global Moderator
    • YES
A few weeks ago a female member posted that whilst on a bus, a man, a complete stranger to her, had told her she was a very attractive woman.  Some posters, including at least one who has posted here reviling the man in the life and his ilk, seemed to think that was great . . .

Exactly!
When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.   Mark Twain.

Quality not Quantity.

guest1764 on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:33PM
Reply #110

guest1764

I think that's different from a sleazy comment alone in a lift at work by the boss, or whoever he was.

I've been chatted up on buses and it made me laugh.  A young man asked me if I was 'single' and I asked him how old he was - 38 he said.  I said I'm old enough to be your mother, I don't mind he said.  It cheered me up actually. 

SG on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:34PM
Reply #111

SG

Double standards?

Isn't it a far more risky situation?  How do you know a complete stranger is safe?  You don't,  and if he sees your friendliness as a come-on it's too late when he's followed you off the bus . . .
« Last Edit: Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:36PM by SG »

guest1764 on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:36PM
Reply #112

guest1764

I was in a public place, I felt safe, his manner was very nice.  I didn't feel threatened.

If he'd followed me off the bus that would have changed everything.

I have been followed off a tube train late at night (when I was in my teens) and that was terrifying.

SG on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:37PM
Reply #113

SG

I understand the Yorkshire Ripper's manner was very nice in public, as was Fred West's . . .

guest1764 on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:38PM
Reply #114

guest1764

Why even talk like that SG?  I am recounting my own experiences, why try to mock them?

SG on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:42PM
Reply #115

SG

Er -  I'm not mocking them.  I'm simply pointing out that just because a complete stranger's manner is 'nice' it doesn't follow that he is - as plenty of women have found to their cost.

In addition, you had not added your edit -

I have been followed off a tube train late at night (when I was in my teens) and that was terrifying.

when I posted.
« Last Edit: Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:44PM by SG »

guest1764 on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:44PM
Reply #116

guest1764

Yes but we have to use our own judgement and I judged him to be pleasant and it cheered me up.  That's my experience and I was recounting it.  Why pick at it?

Edits are to be expected.

SG on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:46PM
Reply #117

SG

I didn't pick at it, I didn't mention it at all in fact.  What I said was -

I understand the Yorkshire Ripper's manner was very nice in public, as was Fred West's . . .

However I still find it difficult to understand how someone who reviles a man for making a clumsy but inoffensive remark to a woman who is know to him, enjoys advances from a completely unknown male on public transport.
« Last Edit: Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:50PM by SG »

ellieni on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:53PM
Reply #118

Offline ellieni

• yes
I was in a public place, I felt safe, his manner was very nice.  I didn't feel threatened.

I wouldn't have felt threatened by that either.  And just looked on it as a bit of Banter.
As, I think most of us are old enough to know the difference between, what is said as a joke. Or that said with an undercurrent of sleeze.

guest1764 on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:56PM
Reply #119

guest1764

I wouldn't have felt threatened by that either.  And just looked on it as a bit of Banter.
As, I think most of us are old enough to know the difference between, what is said as a joke. Or that said with an undercurrent of sleeze.

That's right Ellieni.  As I said, it cheered me up and gave me a laugh.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal