* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

* Corona Virus Advice

Dear Members and Visitors,

Just in case you've not seen the latest advice / guidelines regarding the Corona Virus (Covid-19), please visit the Government's website via the link below so you can be as up to date as possible.

The UK Government's Advice/Rules on Corona Virus

Also, the NHS website has a lot of useful information.

NHS Corona Virus Advice

I hope you are all following the rules in self-isolating and social-distancing. Only a fool would think they would never catch it and mix with others only to spread it further. Please do follow the guidelines and the Government's rulings.

Be safe, be healthy and be wise.

Regards
Hal
www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk
THIS BOARD IS PUBLIC - VISIBLE TO EVERYONE!

Topic: Milk

magellan on Sun 18-Nov-2018 | 19:32PM
Reply #30

Offline magellan

• Still doing the rounds
  • blue skies debater
Is it milk per se, or lactose? You can get lactose free milk these days.
Think first, write after, otherwise edit swiftly

Gillian on Sun 18-Nov-2018 | 19:37PM
Reply #31

Offline Gillian

I think it is milk protein.

Katyblue on Tue 04-Dec-2018 | 20:20PM
Reply #32

Offline Katyblue

• Don't count the days: make the days count.
My sister had that problem and now has almond or soya milk.

At my first school there were big solid fuel stoves (Tortoise? and the milk crate was put near them to thaw out, Sometimes the ice had pushed up the cardboard tops about half an inch. we used the tops, which had a round punchhole, to make bobbles.

We still have a milkman who delivers Monday,Wednesday and Friday to the door in bottles.

Lila1410 on Wed 05-Dec-2018 | 06:38AM
Reply #33

Offline Lila1410

Fresh? and at reliable times for people who have to go to work?

Katyblue on Wed 05-Dec-2018 | 15:10PM
Reply #34

Offline Katyblue

• Don't count the days: make the days count.
Yes fresh. No-one here goes to work.

Beppy on Wed 05-Dec-2018 | 15:32PM
Reply #35

Online Beppy

• Global Moderator
    • YES
We still have a milkman who delivers to us three times a week.
When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.   Mark Twain.

Quality not Quantity.

aron on Fri 07-Dec-2018 | 17:52PM
Reply #36

Offline aron

When I cancelled my milkman, oh, 45 years ago-ish.. I remember him saying to me 'You Ratbag !' !!!

Lila1410 on Sat 08-Dec-2018 | 06:57AM
Reply #37

Offline Lila1410

None round here. I did have one 20 something years ago but he was too unreliable.

I get it delivered once a week now (with my veg box), and put most of it in the freezer. More expensive, but I think it's worth the hassle.

Hotton on Sat 08-Dec-2018 | 08:20AM
Reply #38

Offline Hotton

• hotton
We had milk delivered for at least 40 years on a daily basis. They then changed to 3 times a week. We stopped several years ago-can't remember why.
Now buy a Litre every Saturday when home at Sansbury's.
hotton

Flixtonian on Sat 08-Dec-2018 | 10:59AM
Reply #39

Offline Flixtonian

• YES
I was unfortunate enough to have been milk monitor and ink monitor. 

Marion on Sun 10-Oct-2021 | 17:56PM
Reply #40

Offline Marion

I remember when we used to get it at school, and in the winter we had frozen milk, but those were the days

aron on Sun 10-Oct-2021 | 18:13PM
Reply #41

Offline aron

I got a bottle is Guernsey Full Fat in my Tesco Click and Collect order..When I got home I just had to drink half the bottle ( pint bottle )  So creamy and cold and good.  Nectar of the Gods !

Beppy on Sun 10-Oct-2021 | 19:01PM
Reply #42

Online Beppy

• Global Moderator
    • YES
I appreciate my milkman so much and I'm pleased I have never stopped my deliveries. I'm unable to leave the house at the moment as I need to be with my husband so those bottles of delivered milk are a godsend at the moment.
When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.   Mark Twain.

Quality not Quantity.

Lila1410 on Mon 11-Oct-2021 | 08:00AM
Reply #43

Offline Lila1410

I remember when we used to get it at school, and in the winter we had frozen milk, but those were the days

I expect most of us remember. I think we took it for granted then, didn't know we were lucky.

Fossil on Mon 11-Oct-2021 | 08:50AM
Reply #44

Offline Fossil

I expect most of us remember. I think we took it for granted then, didn't know we were lucky.

Lucky?

I've always hated  fresh milk and refused to drink the milk we got at school. Of course there were children who liked it, so it was usually easy enough to get rid of it without having to resort to pouring it down the drain. Some of them might also have needed it because they weren't adequately fed at home, but I don't think there were many of those even in a school with a large slum area in its catchment area.

Milk in tea or on cereal or in custard etc is a different matter. But it's definitely one of those things that needs disguising!

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal