* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

* Corona Virus Advice

Dear Members and Visitors,

Just in case you've not seen the latest advice / guidelines regarding the Corona Virus (Covid-19), please visit the Government's website via the link below so you can be as up to date as possible.

The UK Government's Advice/Rules on Corona Virus

Also, the NHS website has a lot of useful information.

NHS Corona Virus Advice

I hope you are all following the rules in self-isolating and social-distancing. Only a fool would think they would never catch it and mix with others only to spread it further. Please do follow the guidelines and the Government's rulings.

Be safe, be healthy and be wise.

Regards
Hal
www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk
THIS BOARD IS PUBLIC - VISIBLE TO EVERYONE!

Topic: Anonymising proxies and Tor exit nodes

Orac on Fri 10-Aug-2018 | 09:06AM

Offline Orac

• * * * BEHAVE!!!! * * *
  • Administrator
  • Growing old disgracefully
Included in the Registration agreement are the following words:-
Quote from: Registration agreement
. . . . . . you agree not to use any form of proxy or spoofed IP address.

One of the "unique selling points" of FiftyPlusForum is that what is posted on FiftyPlus, stays on FiftyPlus . . . . we're a private forum. To that end we take security seriously and we note a recent furoré over the use of 'sock puppets' (second identities) on another forum. Here, we don't allow them unless there's a valid reason for their use and IP addresses are one of the tools at our disposal for identifying the unauthorised use of a sock puppet. We see no valid reason why an honest member should need to hide their IP address anyway.

In view of the above and the recent increase in the number of membership applications by spammers, we are now being more pro-active as far as access to FiftyPlusForum is concerned and, rather than relying solely on members adhering to the Registration agreement, have disabled access via known anonymising proxy and Tor exit node IP addresses.

Should a member or prospective member try to access our forum in such a manner, they will receive a message saying they are banned and why. Obviously they are not banned, it's just that their method of access is blocked. It's a generic message and the explanation displayed with it advises them to access the forum using a conventional IP address.

We hope this reassures members that we continue to take their security seriously. :OK:
« Last Edit: Fri 10-Aug-2018 | 11:20AM by Orac »
Someone told me that women like a man in uniform! - I bought most of mine on eBay!!
  • Read 5915 times
  • Category Front Page
No Comments...

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal