* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

* Corona Virus Advice

Dear Members and Visitors,

Just in case you've not seen the latest advice / guidelines regarding the Corona Virus (Covid-19), please visit the Government's website via the link below so you can be as up to date as possible.

The UK Government's Advice/Rules on Corona Virus

Also, the NHS website has a lot of useful information.

NHS Corona Virus Advice

I hope you are all following the rules in self-isolating and social-distancing. Only a fool would think they would never catch it and mix with others only to spread it further. Please do follow the guidelines and the Government's rulings.

Be safe, be healthy and be wise.

Regards
Hal
www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk
THIS BOARD IS PUBLIC - VISIBLE TO EVERYONE!

Topic: Harassment, Parliament and the BBC

Beppy on Sat 04-Nov-2017 | 18:22PM
Reply #15

Offline Beppy

• Global Moderator
    • YES
If it happened in every case - and we have no way of knowing whether it did or not.  Why did no-one say anything publicly at the time?  And a few risqué comments hardly make them the victims they're being portrayed as.

They seem to want to be seen as victims don't they.
When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.   Mark Twain.

Quality not Quantity.

guest534 on Sat 04-Nov-2017 | 23:16PM
Reply #16

guest534

We do not know the facts. Maybe they are victims?

aron on Sat 04-Nov-2017 | 23:35PM
Reply #17

Offline aron

Do we know for certain that all the women who have 'come forward' are telling the truth?

No.

Do we know for certain that all the men who are accused are telling the truth ?

No.

If I had been sexually abused and not let it publicly be known at the time, I think it would have been because in that day and age when men seemed to wield power over women, a woman would maybe have been told to get over it, or she would maybe have been too embarrassed to say anything.

And the reason that these women are now coming forward is maybe something to do with having strength in numbers, ie, all in together girls..

Yes, there may be a few who are jumping on the bandwagon, but there may be a lot more who have been abused, and why should we not believe them now ? 

The longer they have kept all this to themselves the harder I think it would be to bring it all out now.

They have felt shame long enough for no reason at all.

jock364 on Sat 04-Nov-2017 | 23:56PM
Reply #18

Offline jock364

• Labore et Scientia

SG on Sun 05-Nov-2017 | 00:40AM
Reply #19

SG

They weren't all shy, shrinking violets I'm sure, so why didn't one, just one of them say something publicly at the time?  You say 'that day and age' but some of the allegations only go back a few years, not to the dark ages.  I find it hard to believe that someone like, say Angela Leadsom, wouldn't be confident and strong enough to tell any man who crossed her to sod off or she'd have his balls for castanets!

Lila1410 on Sun 05-Nov-2017 | 07:25AM
Reply #20

Offline Lila1410

Didn't Leadsom only speak up now in support of what other women were saying?

Griffon on Sun 05-Nov-2017 | 07:39AM
Reply #21

Offline Griffon

Or maybe she hoped Fallon would be replaced by a Brexiteer.

guest534 on Sun 05-Nov-2017 | 08:56AM
Reply #22

guest534

It is becoming increasingly clear that many DID say something at the time but went through the whole gamut of useless responses from simply being told they were being silly little women manning a fuss over nothing to blatant threats about their career prospects.

What I find particularly concerning about some of the reactions is the rush to defend the alleged perpetrators and belittle the women claiming misconduct.

And that is now......when we are assume to have reasonably equal status.

And people ask why women have not said anything until, as Aron wisely observes, it becomes a high profile moment in time and there is safety in numbers.

guest534 on Sun 05-Nov-2017 | 09:00AM
Reply #23

guest534

Or maybe she hoped Fallon would be replaced by a Brexiteer.

AL is vile and showed herself as such during the PM election that wasn't, but why are we forgetting it is Fallon who is the guilty party here, on his own admission, and the extent of his failings seem to be growing daily.

Do we really have to have Brexit brought into this too!

Myra on Sun 05-Nov-2017 | 09:44AM
Reply #24

Offline Myra

• 🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄
No.

Do we know for certain that all the men who are accused are telling the truth ?

No.

If I had been sexually abused and not let it publicly be known at the time, I think it would have been because in that day and age when men seemed to wield power over women, a woman would maybe have been told to get over it, or she would maybe have been too embarrassed to say anything.

And the reason that these women are now coming forward is maybe something to do with having strength in numbers, ie, all in together girls..

Yes, there may be a few who are jumping on the bandwagon, but there may be a lot more who have been abused, and why should we not believe them now ? 

The longer they have kept all this to themselves the harder I think it would be to bring it all out now.

They have felt shame long enough for no reason at all.

:tick:
Don't waste words on people who deserve your silence.   Sometimes the most powerful thing you can say is nothing at all.

Myra on Sun 05-Nov-2017 | 09:45AM
Reply #25

Offline Myra

• 🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄🎄
It is becoming increasingly clear that many DID say something at the time but went through the whole gamut of useless responses from simply being told they were being silly little women manning a fuss over nothing to blatant threats about their career prospects.

What I find particularly concerning about some of the reactions is the rush to defend the alleged perpetrators and belittle the women claiming misconduct.

And that is now......when we are assume to have reasonably equal status.

And people ask why women have not said anything until, as Aron wisely observes, it becomes a high profile moment in time and there is safety in numbers.
:tick:
Don't waste words on people who deserve your silence.   Sometimes the most powerful thing you can say is nothing at all.

SG on Sun 05-Nov-2017 | 10:02AM
Reply #26

SG

As I said previously, AL is no shrinking violet.  I am sure that had she wanted to deal with the matter at the time she could have done most effectively.

Someone telling you they know somewhere you could warm your hands does not make you a victim.

guest1764 on Sun 05-Nov-2017 | 10:05AM
Reply #27

guest1764

She's not a victim, she was reporting his bad behaviour which he acknowledged himself and that's why he's gone.  Another woman has shared her story of Fallon 'lunging' at her after a meeting.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5050637/Journalist-claims-Michael-Fallon-lunged-her.html

SG on Sun 05-Nov-2017 | 10:21AM
Reply #28

SG

The word victim has been used in the media and on here.

Where there has been an actual physical assault - lunging at someone and trying to kiss them for instance, and other forms of physical contact, why, again, did not one of the complainants go straight to the Police if they were so disturbed by what happened, instead of discussing it with other people who had no authority or inclination to do anything about it?

Maybe if just one woman had gone to the Police, and the offender had been dealt with, it would have given the message to other men that such behaviour wasn't acceptable?

Norn on Sun 05-Nov-2017 | 12:01PM
Reply #29

Offline Norn

Some women apparently did go to the police, and were given the same brush-off. I'd be very surprised if this type of male behaviour wasn't also endemic in the Police until recently.
(George Gently's sidekick Bacchus ? )
“Patriotism is not enough - I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone"

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal