* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

THIS BOARD IS PUBLIC - VISIBLE TO EVERYONE!

Topic: Stiffer penalties for assaults on the Emergency Services

Dickiemint on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 12:47pm

Offline Dickiemint

Assaults on the Emergency Services are on the increase.  One of the reasons is the ludicrously mild sentences passed.  You can be imprisoned for failing to pay your Council Tax or even TV Licence.  But then that's a finance crime which always seems to be treated with a stiff sentence.

You may feel you could sign this petition:
tougher sentences for those who assault our Emergency Services
Someone told me this wet stuff that just fell out of the sky is called rain!  It's magic, because as soon as it hits the ground it disappears!
  • Read 3965 times
  • Category Front Page
Comments: 15

Ar Lass on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 13:10pm
Reply #1

Offline Ar Lass

• You can call me Al..
    • yes
I have signed DM..As one who has worked on A&E and experienced first-hand the abuse and violence, it would be very welcome to all staff I am sure if there was more deterrent than at the present time. I am also aware that the abuse and violence are not just in A&E and not just the hospitals, it is ALL our emergency services.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. Mae West

SG on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 13:13pm
Reply #2

Online SG

• Play nicely!
  • Global Moderator
  • "Here, there and everywhere . . ."
    • Yes
As far as assaults on Police Officers go, CPS tend to take the view that by the nature of the job, a certain amount of violence and abuse should be expected. Nice!
Life is better if you cry a little, laugh a lot and are thankful for everything you've got

Fossil on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 13:30pm
Reply #3

Offline Fossil

I've signed. I witnessed an  attack on the reception staff during a visit to A & E with a friend. The weapon used was a large metal waste bin and it was just lucky that no-one was badly hurt.

I also have a friend in her 40s who works as a paramedic. She's always loved her work and is at the top of her profession. She's now seriously considering giving it up because she and her colleagues have been attacked so many times and, as the mother of a young child, is particularly worried that she may not be able to care for him should she be the victim of a serious attack.

SG on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 13:41pm
Reply #4

Online SG

• Play nicely!
  • Global Moderator
    • Yes
I really don't understand this urge to attack people who are there to help!
Life is better if you cry a little, laugh a lot and are thankful for everything you've got

LouisJadot on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 15:55pm
Reply #5

LouisJadot

It is obvious as to why folk attack those that come to help. It is a form of hitting back at the establishment. just as toilets are trashed in workplaces, It has been going on for since the beginning of time,  Part of Human Behaviour how humans react to situations they don't like. very complex to those that don't read up on it. It is all out there to read Google is your Friend.

SG on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 16:02pm
Reply #6

Online SG

• Play nicely!
  • Global Moderator
    • Yes
I've never worked anywhere where the toilets were trashed.

I don't see that trying to injure those who are there to help and maybe save your life is hitting back at the establishment either.

I do see it as plain stupid, pig-ignorant and selfish - I don't need to read anything to know that!

Any such abuse should attract an automatic prison sentence of a minimum of 6 months - the whole sentence to be served.
« Last Edit: Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 16:06pm by SG »

Hotspur on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 16:42pm
Reply #7

Offline Hotspur

• Can be very testing iblis رائع
As far as assaults on Police Officers go, CPS tend to take the view that by the nature of the job, a certain amount of violence and abuse should be expected. Nice!
Afraid that's probably correct, but what I would like to see is police officers being allowed to defend themselves more freely from abuse and violence.
If you pray to the wrong god you might make the right one madder and madder

Homer Simpson

SG on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 16:47pm
Reply #8

Online SG

• Play nicely!
  • Global Moderator
    • Yes
Afraid that's probably correct, but what I would like to see is police officers being allowed to defend themselves more freely from abuse and violence.

Even when that violence causes injuries necessitating time off work?  Why should a Police Officer get kicked in the face and CPS (who sit in nice safe offices well away from the public) decree that 'well, you have to expect a certain amount of violence towards you'?

There is a specific offence of assault on a Police Officer - so it should be used!

Pink Geranium on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 16:50pm
Reply #9

Online Pink Geranium

I always assumed the people who do this were probably drunk. It seems so irrational and terrible.

Hotspur on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 16:51pm
Reply #10

Offline Hotspur

It is obvious as to why folk attack those that come to help. It is a form of hitting back at the establishment. just as toilets are trashed in workplaces, It has been going on for since the beginning of time,  Part of Human Behaviour how humans react to situations they don't like. very complex to those that don't read up on it. It is all out there to read Google is your Friend.
Not forgetting it may just have something to do with having consumed large amounts of alcohol in which case one is still responsible for their actions and should be treated as so.
If never seen workplace toilets trashed, and I've visited a lot all over the UK and the world

Homer Simpson

Hotspur on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 16:56pm
Reply #11

Offline Hotspur

Even when that violence causes injuries necessitating time off work?  Why should a Police Officer get kicked in the face and CPS (who sit in nice safe offices well away from the public) decree that 'well, you have to expect a certain amount of violence towards you'?

There is a specific offence of assault on a Police Officer - so it should be used!
A question for you, if an officer is kicked in the face is he or she  allowed to kick back and possibly injure the thug without being investigated

Homer Simpson

Ar Lass on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 17:10pm
Reply #12

Offline Ar Lass

• You can call me Al..
    • yes
I always assumed the people who do this were probably drunk. It seems so irrational and terrible.
In my experience a lot are drunk, but a large number are bullies who think the person ..(nurse/doctor) they are having a go at can't retaliate so are easy fodder.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough. Mae West

SG on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 17:32pm
Reply #13

Online SG

• Play nicely!
  • Global Moderator
    • Yes
A question for you, if an officer is kicked in the face is he or she  allowed to kick back and possibly injure the thug without being investigated

Not really, officers are taught Home Office approved methods of restraint and control - and kicking isn't among them!

Having said that if you can justify a non-HO move it's usually ok - for instance I had to slap the face of a woman who had her teeth sunk into my hand because I couldn't make her release me any other way.
« Last Edit: Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 19:06pm by SG »

SG on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 17:33pm
Reply #14

Online SG

• Play nicely!
  • Global Moderator
    • Yes
In my experience a lot are drunk, but a large number are bullies who think the person ..(nurse/doctor) they are having a go at can't retaliate so are easy fodder.

Yes, you're right, and in the case of Police Officers it can be people who don't like being told what to do, or what they can't do, or what they shouldn't have done.  :)

Dickiemint on Thu 21-Sep-2017 | 18:08pm
Reply #15

Offline Dickiemint

It's a big problem, some put down to Supermarkets selling cheap alcohol.  Folk on a night out fill up on the cheap stuff because the pubs and clubs are more expensive.
Society doesn't seem to teach restraint and respect to children anymore.  There seems to be a generation now growing up who don't have a guilt complex!  Thus much stiffer sentences may actually get through to them.
Someone told me this wet stuff that just fell out of the sky is called rain!  It's magic, because as soon as it hits the ground it disappears!