* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

* Corona Virus Advice

Dear Members and Visitors,

Just in case you've not seen the latest advice / guidelines regarding the Corona Virus (Covid-19), please visit the Government's website via the link below so you can be as up to date as possible.

The UK Government's Advice/Rules on Corona Virus

Also, the NHS website has a lot of useful information.

NHS Corona Virus Advice

I hope you are all following the rules in self-isolating and social-distancing. Only a fool would think they would never catch it and mix with others only to spread it further. Please do follow the guidelines and the Government's rulings.

Be safe, be healthy and be wise.

Regards
Hal
www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk
THIS BOARD IS PUBLIC - VISIBLE TO EVERYONE!

Topic: Prime Minister of UK

Harvatt on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 00:15AM

Offline Harvatt

• tbusby123@hotmail.com
Hello ,    On the afternoon of the Budget  - Wednesday  -   I for once watched
Phillip Hammond give his Budget Speech and Jeremy Corbyn give his reply ,
but what I noticed most of all was that Theresa May really looked ill at one
point . I was a little concerned that  the Budget Speeches , the many other  jobs
she has in hand , together with listening to the speeches and added to the  many
discussions internationally that she has had to be involved with in connection
with ' BREXIT ' particularly, was making her show some signs of strain. Did
anyone else have that feeling  ?  After all she has been to some extend - thrown
in at the deep end of all this as well . It is not my intention to show  any
political bias in to this post ,  It is just me showing some concern for a person who
in all honesty must have been working very hard the last few weeks to say the
least , and a person who seems to be very dedicated .     Regards       Terry .
  • Read 28299 times
  • Category Front Page
Comments: 26

jock364 on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 00:51AM
Reply #1

Offline jock364

• Labore et Scientia
If I were she, I really would have difficulty in finding a deputy PM that I could trust.

Griffon on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 06:38AM
Reply #2

Offline Griffon

I have wondered for some time whether Teresa May has good enough physical health to do the job.  She is a diabetic isn't she. That may or may not be relevant. I'm also going by how she looks sometimes. Just a feeling.

Norn on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 09:05AM
Reply #3

Offline Norn

She has got herself in an impossible position, hasn't she. She will go down as the PM who took us out of the EU, crashed the economy, and caused the breakup of the UK as well .
Unless she has to resign because she is ill  and let Davis or Johnson take the blame :-)
“Patriotism is not enough - I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone"

Janey on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 12:30PM
Reply #4

Online Janey

• I know who I am
I have wondered for some time whether Teresa May has good enough physical health to do the job.  She is a diabetic isn't she. That may or may not be relevant. ...

Totally irrelevant and insulting to people with diabetes.
“If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” ― Roald Dahl

Griffon on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 12:44PM
Reply #5

Offline Griffon

Totally irrelevant and insulting to people with diabetes.
I did say it "may or may not be relevant". Her diabetes is not the reason I suspect she may not be physically strong enough for the job. But even it were, it would not be an insult to people with diabetes. It just isn't.

Janey on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 12:48PM
Reply #6

Online Janey

• I know who I am
So why mention the diabetes at all?

I think it is insulting.
“If you have good thoughts they will shine out of your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.” ― Roald Dahl

Griffon on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 13:13PM
Reply #7

Offline Griffon

Well, it isn't because I'm not (being insulting).  In my view she quite often looks frail and tired. Now, that in itself doesn't necessary mean anything. Some people can look frail and tired, yet still carry on in stressful positions for years. I'm agreeing with the OP's observation. I merely mentioned that she has a health issue. It could be any number of other conditions that people cope with but which may or may not hinder them. Stress often has a negative affect on any condition.

Funnily enough I expressed this speculation a week or two ago in the company of two people who suffer from diabetes. Neither appeared to be insulted. In fact it was one of them who raised the fact that May has the condition. 

Gillian on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 13:25PM
Reply #8

Offline Gillian

My husband has diabetics.   The medicine he takes stops his body using one of the B vitamins from his food.   He got very tired and weak until he started 3 monthly injections of the vitamin..

cass on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 14:03PM
Reply #9

Offline cass

• Carpe Diem
    • yes
Well, it isn't because I'm not (being insulting).  In my view she quite often looks frail and tired. Now, that in itself doesn't necessary mean anything. Some people can look frail and tired, yet still carry on in stressful positions for years. I'm agreeing with the OP's observation. I merely mentioned that she has a health issue. It could be any number of other conditions that people cope with but which may or may not hinder them. Stress often has a negative affect on any condition.

Funnily enough I expressed this speculation a week or two ago in the company of two people who suffer from diabetes. Neither appeared to be insulted. In fact it was one of them who raised the fact that May has the condition.
I have Diabetes and was not at all insulted. I admire Theresa  May and fully accept that people with that condition need a lot of stamina. I hope she soon gets people around her who will help.
Why wait for the storm to pass when you can dance in the rain

Snowqueen on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 14:55PM
Reply #10

Offline Snowqueen

She hasn't looked well for a long time imo . Those dark circles under her eyes could indicate an underlying health problem , kidneys for instance . No insults intended .
Brain into gear before mouth into action  

Janey on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 16:21PM
Reply #11

Online Janey

• I know who I am
Well, it isn't because I'm not (being insulting).  I

Just because you don't think you are being insulting, doesn't mean people may find your comment insulting.

I fail to see the relevance of her having diabetes and her ability to be PM.

Griffon on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 16:41PM
Reply #12

Offline Griffon

Just because you don't think you are being insulting, doesn't mean people may find your comment insulting.
True. But I refuse to feel responsible for other people who you think might be insulted.

I fail to see the relevance of her having diabetes and her ability to be PM.
Neither do I.
« Last Edit: Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 16:44PM by Griffon »

Janey on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 16:42PM
Reply #13

Online Janey

• I know who I am
So why mention it?   :grrr:

Griffon on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 16:49PM
Reply #14

Offline Griffon

Sorry I posted in haste. What I mean is there's no reason in principle why someone with diabetes shouldn't be PM. But it might be relevant in her case if, as we have speculated, she is not as physically robust as she might be.

LouisJadot on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 18:08PM
Reply #15

LouisJadot

It was her choice to throw her hat into the ring, She could of said this is not for me, I am not well enough for this. Also I find quite amazing as she was in favour of staying in the EU, The job of taking us out should of went to a Brexiteer.  Never mind she will get stabbed in the back by her party if she does not get what they want, and as they all want different things she will never satisfy them all.

SG on Fri 10-Mar-2017 | 21:56PM
Reply #16

SG

It was her choice to throw her hat into the ring, She could of said this is not for me, I am not well enough for this.

She could, she didn't so presumably she is!

Harvatt on Sat 11-Mar-2017 | 10:32AM
Reply #17

Offline Harvatt

• tbusby123@hotmail.com
So why mention it?   :grrr:

I Like your Roald Dahl's quotation  Janey   .
« Last Edit: Sat 11-Mar-2017 | 10:37AM by Harvatt »

Griffon on Sat 11-Mar-2017 | 11:11AM
Reply #18

Offline Griffon

It was her choice to throw her hat into the ring, She could of said this is not for me, I am not well enough for this. Also I find quite amazing as she was in favour of staying in the EU, The job of taking us out should of went to a Brexiteer.  Never mind she will get stabbed in the back by her party if she does not get what they want, and as they all want different things she will never satisfy them all.
I too wonder how she resolves her views about the EU and her current position. Historically she always was a bit hot and cold about Europe. Is she just a pragmatic politician? Power before principle? One could be forgiven for supposing that, prior to the referendum, she positioned herself to assume power if it went for Brexit, but cleverly without jeopardising her position if it went to Remain. She could have become PM eventually whichever way it went.

Pink Geranium on Sat 11-Mar-2017 | 11:20AM
Reply #19

Offline Pink Geranium

Of course Griffon wasn't being insulting. He was merely stating a fact about her health. No diabetics I know would find it insulting.

LouisJadot on Sat 11-Mar-2017 | 11:23AM
Reply #20

LouisJadot

I too wonder how she resolves her views about the EU and her current position. Historically she always was a bit hot and cold about Europe. Is she just a pragmatic politician? Power before principle? One could be forgiven for supposing that, prior to the referendum, she positioned herself to assume power if it went for Brexit, but cleverly without jeopardising her position if it went to Remain. She could have become PM eventually whichever way it went.

I always feel that way with folk that have a bank book stuffed with money, They do not need to bother about principle, they are driven by the power they are given. and she knows no matter what happens it will not affect her personally, apart from lousing her job, and being a Tory she also knows it is par of the course to be rejected if you can not deliver what they have voted you in to do.

Griffon on Sat 11-Mar-2017 | 13:28PM
Reply #21

Offline Griffon

I always feel that way with folk that have a bank book stuffed with money, They do not need to bother about principle, they are driven by the power they are given. and she knows no matter what happens it will not affect her personally, apart from lousing her job, and being a Tory she also knows it is par of the course to be rejected if you can not deliver what they have voted you in to do.
Actually my comment "power before principle" wasn't necessarily a criticism. In some ways politicians on a mission worry me more than the pragmatic types.

One of the purposes of politics is to govern. The Tories have realised this best of all political parties for at least 200 years. First and foremost she's a Tory. I suspect she's fairly ambivalent about the EU. But I think perhaps she's weighed up the pros and cons and decided that the best option for her (and the Tories') political future in power is to back Brexit wholeheartedly. Pragmatically that's all she and they can do. They can't be seen to go against the referendum result, a referendum instigated by a Tory PM. They have an opposition in disarray.  They can take advantage of that to achieve what the Tory grassroots want - to get out of the EU. They risk Scotland leaving the UK of course, but even that is not all bad news for the Tories. If Scotland left, it more or less ensures Tory government for half a generation or more.

LouisJadot on Sat 11-Mar-2017 | 19:50PM
Reply #22

LouisJadot

Actually my comment "power before principle" wasn't necessarily a criticism. In some ways politicians on a mission worry me more than the pragmatic types.

One of the purposes of politics is to govern. The Tories have realised this best of all political parties for at least 200 years. First and foremost she's a Tory. I suspect she's fairly ambivalent about the EU. But I think perhaps she's weighed up the pros and cons and decided that the best option for her (and the Tories') political future in power is to back Brexit wholeheartedly. Pragmatically that's all she and they can do. They can't be seen to go against the referendum result, a referendum instigated by a Tory PM. They have an opposition in disarray.  They can take advantage of that to achieve what the Tory grassroots want - to get out of the EU. They risk Scotland leaving the UK of course, but even that is not all bad news for the Tories. If Scotland left, it more or less ensures Tory government for half a generation or more.

I did not take it to mean a criticism.
I is just how I feel about them as people, that do that job, They do not seem to have have any self morals, when there gut is telling them I think it better to stay in the EU and that is the way I will vote, Then when an opportunity comes that gives them power the cant help themselves from grabbing the position, and never mind my health or any thing else, This is for me. That is what makes them dangerous.

Griffon on Sun 12-Mar-2017 | 23:37PM
Reply #23

Offline Griffon

And yet you seem to have little problem with handing power over to the EU.

LouisJadot on Mon 13-Mar-2017 | 16:07PM
Reply #24

LouisJadot

And yet you seem to have little problem with handing power over to the EU.

This is not about me it is about The Prime Minister  TM. :hmm:

Harvatt on Wed 15-Mar-2017 | 21:45PM
Reply #25

Offline Harvatt

• tbusby123@hotmail.com
My Word ,    Those last nineteen posts were quite interesting ,  everyone briefly
put their thoughts down ,  mostly around the same aspect of the discussion
I may add ,  but still kept the matter in hand very polite  polite     -  unusual but
brilliant !   
Regards    Terry .
« Last Edit: Wed 15-Mar-2017 | 21:54PM by Harvatt »

Griffon on Wed 15-Mar-2017 | 21:57PM
Reply #26

Offline Griffon

My Word ,    Those last nineteen posts were quite interesting ,  you all briefly
put your thoughts down ,  mostly around the same aspect of the discussion
I may add ,  but still kept the matter in hand polite     -     Good .
regards    Terry .
It's one of the good things about this forum. Mainly people seem to choose to get on even if they disagree. Not like Digital Spy forums or similar where often people seem intent on having a spat which then goes on boringly for post after post.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal