* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

* Corona Virus Advice

Dear Members and Visitors,

Just in case you've not seen the latest advice / guidelines regarding the Corona Virus (Covid-19), please visit the Government's website via the link below so you can be as up to date as possible.

The UK Government's Advice/Rules on Corona Virus

Also, the NHS website has a lot of useful information.

NHS Corona Virus Advice

I hope you are all following the rules in self-isolating and social-distancing. Only a fool would think they would never catch it and mix with others only to spread it further. Please do follow the guidelines and the Government's rulings.

Be safe, be healthy and be wise.

Regards
Hal
www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk
THIS BOARD IS PUBLIC - VISIBLE TO EVERYONE!

Topic: Milk

Milkman on Fri 19-Oct-2018 | 18:07PM

Milkman

I love Milk
  • Read 17795 times
  • Category Front Page
Comments: 58

andsome on Mon 12-Nov-2018 | 10:39AM
Reply #1

Offline andsome

We drink a lot of it. Cereals in the morning. Copious cups of tea and Horlicks at night. ::)
Gustav Mahler was the worlds finest composer ever of truly great music.

Snowqueen on Mon 12-Nov-2018 | 12:14PM
Reply #2

Offline Snowqueen

I love Milk
Me too, on cereals and by the glassful. Maybe the odd milky coffee . I consider it  a food  I d find difficult to  be without hence I have it delivered to my door .
Brain into gear before mouth into action  

GrannyJ on Mon 12-Nov-2018 | 19:40PM
Reply #3

Offline GrannyJ

• Just call me GJ
I couldn't drink milk by the glass, but do have it on cereal and a small amount in coffee. I have black tea, as far as I'm concerned tea is revolting with milk.
The only way to have a friend is to be one

aron on Mon 12-Nov-2018 | 22:42PM
Reply #4

Offline aron

I love milk ! The creamier and colder, the better.  I like to buy the Jersey stuff now and then.. I could drink it by the pint, but have to stop after half, and leave some for coffee, which I like milky and strong.

Years ago when I was deluded into thinking that skimmed stuff was better for you, husband decided rather than put the stuff in his coffee ( why bother - the coffee stayed brown ) he went without.

I got wise and stopped using that wishy washy stuff, and wouldn't buy anything else but full cream now.
the older I get -
the younger I was.

Lila1410 on Tue 13-Nov-2018 | 06:34AM
Reply #5

Online Lila1410

I do usually have skimmed milk, in tea, coffee and on cereal, I don't drink it on its own.

I do buy milk products, cheese, yogurt, rice pud sometimes.

GrannyJ on Tue 13-Nov-2018 | 13:12PM
Reply #6

Offline GrannyJ

• Just call me GJ
I always use skimmed milk, I much prefer it, but I'm happy to have semi skimmed occasionally.
I do love cream on puds  though
The only way to have a friend is to be one

aron on Tue 13-Nov-2018 | 21:12PM
Reply #7

Offline aron

When I was young. I used to try and get the top of the milk first, before anyone else had a chance.  I was always told to shake the bottle first ( but never did if I could help it !)
the older I get -
the younger I was.

Silvermist on Tue 13-Nov-2018 | 21:51PM
Reply #8

Offline Silvermist

I remember buying a little round rubber gadget which had a tube going through it.  The longer end in the middle went in the top of the bottle (you pulled it down to where the cream ended) and the other end came out of the side.  I can't remember how it worked, squeezed I think, but it then siphoned out the top of the milk which I then used on desserts etc.

I haven't found it, think it pre-dated the internet.
My views do not relate to any members or their families and friends.

Gillian on Tue 13-Nov-2018 | 21:57PM
Reply #9

Offline Gillian

I remember that Silvermist.

I only use full fat milk for milk puddings.   I prefer semi skimmed in tea and coffee and I prefer skimmed if I drink it.

Lila1410 on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 06:30AM
Reply #10

Online Lila1410

Oh we would never have been allowed to take the cream, my mother poured it off into a separate jug, for puddings etc.

I remember when the bluetits first learned to peck through the lids so my mother got a box for the milkman to put the bottles in if she wasn't at the door when they arrived.

Nowadays all the milk I see seems to be homogenised, so if you want cream you have to buy it separately.

NEGal on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 06:36AM
Reply #11

Online NEGal

I do remember the frozen milk when young at the door when delivered.
I am fine with semi skimmed milk now though buy at a store.
« Last Edit: Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 06:38AM by NEGal »

Lila1410 on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 06:42AM
Reply #12

Online Lila1410

Yes, and children putting their bottles on the radiators to thaw out.

(I freeze it now deliberately as I've started getting it delivered weekly to save such frequent trips to the Co-op, as the stuff in the local shop isn't reliably fresh.)

magellan on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 07:34AM
Reply #13

Online magellan

• Still doing the rounds
  • Global Moderator
  • fledged faffer
I miss my 1/3 pint daily dose bottle from school days, stolen from us by that nasty lady who became future PM.

However, I must admit the classroom often stank of stale stuff especially in winter days.
Think first, write after.

NEGal on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 07:41AM
Reply #14

Online NEGal

Were you ever a milk monitor Mag.  ;)

Lila1410 on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 07:44AM
Reply #15

Online Lila1410

I'd already left school before that nasty lady appeared on our horizons. My milk-drinking days were long over.

I don't know how much the loss of that milk affected the younger ones, it coincided with the gradually increase of so many unhealthy habits.

(I managed to avoid the doubtful honour of being a milk monitor.)

NEGal on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 07:56AM
Reply #16

Online NEGal

I do appreciate that lady enabled me to buy my house.

So thinks we just stick to milk.  :)

Furryanimal on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 08:35AM
Reply #17

Offline Furryanimal

Only a bit on cereal for me.If I drank it it would cause me stomach cramps.

The furry one😺

magellan on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 09:47AM
Reply #18

Online magellan

• Still doing the rounds
  • Global Moderator
  • fledged faffer
Were you ever a milk monitor Mag.  ;)

Yes, and it carried perks. You could finish off all the unclaimed bottles left in the crate.

NEGal on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 13:36PM
Reply #19

Online NEGal

Better than being the ink monitor.

magellan on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 13:43PM
Reply #20

Online magellan

• Still doing the rounds
  • Global Moderator
  • fledged faffer
- or the Tidy Monitor

cass on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 14:47PM
Reply #21

Offline cass

• Carpe Diem
    • yes
Not keen on milk, at home I have a small amount of Semi skimmed in Coffee and on cereal. I remember the small milk bottles at School, probably a third of a pint. I was thankful when the Blessed Margaret stopped us poor children from having to waste it by pouring it away. :bravo:
Why wait for the storm to pass when you can dance in the rain

Hotton on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 16:40PM
Reply #22

Offline Hotton

• hotton
I remember at senior school the milk was left in crates in the playground. In the winter you could have as many bottles as you liked but had to be quick in the Summer.
I now have skimmed milk but also Alpro,especially the Dark chocolate one.
hotton

Lila1410 on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 17:25PM
Reply #23

Online Lila1410

I'm sure ours was never left outside. But I wonder who distributed the crates to the classrooms? Too heavy for a milk monitor or even two. I think at senior school we took a bottle each on our way out, and put the empties back as we came back in after break. I certainly wouldn't have wanted more than one bottle. I can't remember anyone having more than one, or anyone pouring it out. 

magellan on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 17:27PM
Reply #24

Online magellan

• Still doing the rounds
  • Global Moderator
  • fledged faffer
Ah well, boys are a bit more competitive, we used to have drinking contests to see who could down the most number during break. It gave a good excuse to hold your hand up during a boring class and ask to be excused for toilet.

aron on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 19:28PM
Reply #25

Offline aron

I don't know why I remember this but I still have a picture in my head of our teacher in primary school, using a pair of scissors, partly opened, and going all around the crate of milk bottles, cutting a gouge in each one to let the straw through, then the straws were pushed in and we all helped ourselves..I loved it when there were bottles over, as some children never liked milk. ( couldn't understand that!)

Our crates were carried inside by Mr Barber, the school handyman, and we always drank the milk inside at break time. Ah, happy days..I loved the orange juice too, but not the cod liver oil we were given.

Milk. I love the stuff. But only the proper stuff.
the older I get -
the younger I was.

magellan on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 20:52PM
Reply #26

Online magellan

• Still doing the rounds
  • Global Moderator
  • fledged faffer
Drinking through straws? Cissy stuff. Never happened at my boys' school.

aron on Wed 14-Nov-2018 | 21:00PM
Reply #27

Offline aron

Hah !   Tough little kid.
the older I get -
the younger I was.

Lila1410 on Thu 15-Nov-2018 | 06:22AM
Reply #28

Online Lila1410

I don't know why I remember this but I still have a picture in my head of our teacher in primary school, using a pair of scissors, partly opened, and going all around the crate of milk bottles, cutting a gouge in each one to let the straw through, then the straws were pushed in and we all helped ourselves..I loved it when there were bottles over, as some children never liked milk. ( couldn't understand that!)

Our crates were carried inside by Mr Barber, the school handyman, and we always drank the milk inside at break time. Ah, happy days..I loved the orange juice too, but not the cod liver oil we were given.

Milk. I love the stuff. But only the proper stuff.

Yes, of course there must have been a handyman who carried crates round, I can't remember seeing it done but it would have been during lessons. Heavy job, 16 classes at junior school. I can't remember anyone making holes in the bottle tops for us. I do remember the flavoured straws some children brought from home to make the milk taste of chocolate or strawberry. My mother of course would not buy those.

There were a few children who couldn't drink milk or eat custard etc. They had to have a note from the doctor (and teachers would know the doctors, you couldn't fake that). You weren't allowed just to "not like" things!

We had cod liver oil and malt, and orange stuff, at home. I don't know what was in the orange stuff we were given in a spoon. But that was only when we were very small. We drank squash, not juice, very diluted.

Gillian on Sun 18-Nov-2018 | 16:52PM
Reply #29

Offline Gillian

Only a bit on cereal for me.If I drank it it would cause me stomach cramps.

Are you milk intolerant?   It seems that you can have a little milk.   Can you have milk in cakes or chocolate?   My young granddaughter is milk intolerant.   It is hoped that she will improve as she gets older.

Cats often are milk intolerant.  ;)

magellan on Sun 18-Nov-2018 | 19:32PM
Reply #30

Online magellan

• Still doing the rounds
  • Global Moderator
  • fledged faffer
Is it milk per se, or lactose? You can get lactose free milk these days.

Gillian on Sun 18-Nov-2018 | 19:37PM
Reply #31

Offline Gillian

I think it is milk protein.

Katyblue on Tue 04-Dec-2018 | 20:20PM
Reply #32

Offline Katyblue

• Don't count the days: make the days count.
My sister had that problem and now has almond or soya milk.

At my first school there were big solid fuel stoves (Tortoise? and the milk crate was put near them to thaw out, Sometimes the ice had pushed up the cardboard tops about half an inch. we used the tops, which had a round punchhole, to make bobbles.

We still have a milkman who delivers Monday,Wednesday and Friday to the door in bottles.

Lila1410 on Wed 05-Dec-2018 | 06:38AM
Reply #33

Online Lila1410

Fresh? and at reliable times for people who have to go to work?

Katyblue on Wed 05-Dec-2018 | 15:10PM
Reply #34

Offline Katyblue

• Don't count the days: make the days count.
Yes fresh. No-one here goes to work.

Beppy on Wed 05-Dec-2018 | 15:32PM
Reply #35

Offline Beppy

• Global Moderator
    • YES
We still have a milkman who delivers to us three times a week.
When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.   Mark Twain.

aron on Fri 07-Dec-2018 | 17:52PM
Reply #36

Offline aron

When I cancelled my milkman, oh, 45 years ago-ish.. I remember him saying to me 'You Ratbag !' !!!
the older I get -
the younger I was.

Lila1410 on Sat 08-Dec-2018 | 06:57AM
Reply #37

Online Lila1410

None round here. I did have one 20 something years ago but he was too unreliable.

I get it delivered once a week now (with my veg box), and put most of it in the freezer. More expensive, but I think it's worth the hassle.

Hotton on Sat 08-Dec-2018 | 08:20AM
Reply #38

Offline Hotton

• hotton
We had milk delivered for at least 40 years on a daily basis. They then changed to 3 times a week. We stopped several years ago-can't remember why.
Now buy a Litre every Saturday when home at Sansbury's.
hotton

Flixtonian on Sat 08-Dec-2018 | 10:59AM
Reply #39

Offline Flixtonian

• YES
I was unfortunate enough to have been milk monitor and ink monitor. 

Marion on Sun 10-Oct-2021 | 17:56PM
Reply #40

Offline Marion

I remember when we used to get it at school, and in the winter we had frozen milk, but those were the days

aron on Sun 10-Oct-2021 | 18:13PM
Reply #41

Offline aron

I got a bottle is Guernsey Full Fat in my Tesco Click and Collect order..When I got home I just had to drink half the bottle ( pint bottle )  So creamy and cold and good.  Nectar of the Gods !
the older I get -
the younger I was.

Beppy on Sun 10-Oct-2021 | 19:01PM
Reply #42

Offline Beppy

• Global Moderator
    • YES
I appreciate my milkman so much and I'm pleased I have never stopped my deliveries. I'm unable to leave the house at the moment as I need to be with my husband so those bottles of delivered milk are a godsend at the moment.
When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade without further introduction.   Mark Twain.

Lila1410 on Mon 11-Oct-2021 | 08:00AM
Reply #43

Online Lila1410

I remember when we used to get it at school, and in the winter we had frozen milk, but those were the days

I expect most of us remember. I think we took it for granted then, didn't know we were lucky.

Fossil on Mon 11-Oct-2021 | 08:50AM
Reply #44

Offline Fossil

I expect most of us remember. I think we took it for granted then, didn't know we were lucky.

Lucky?

I've always hated  fresh milk and refused to drink the milk we got at school. Of course there were children who liked it, so it was usually easy enough to get rid of it without having to resort to pouring it down the drain. Some of them might also have needed it because they weren't adequately fed at home, but I don't think there were many of those even in a school with a large slum area in its catchment area.

Milk in tea or on cereal or in custard etc is a different matter. But it's definitely one of those things that needs disguising!

Lila1410 on Mon 11-Oct-2021 | 10:26AM
Reply #45

Online Lila1410

Well, my mother told us we were lucky, (though they'd had plenty on the farm) and others said we were lucky when Thatcher snatched it.

I know some children had notes from doctors not to have it.

Hotton on Tue 12-Oct-2021 | 16:54PM
Reply #46

Offline Hotton

• hotton
I got a bottle is Guernsey Full Fat in my Tesco Click and Collect order..When I got home I just had to drink half the bottle ( pint bottle )  So creamy and cold and good.  Nectar of the Gods !
Just came back after 2 weeks there.
Plenty of milk but not many large growers and exporters of tomatos now. Lots of locals have veg in a box outside for purchase and money in the honesty box.
hotton

cass on Tue 12-Oct-2021 | 17:37PM
Reply #47

Offline cass

• Carpe Diem
    • yes
Lucky?

I've always hated  fresh milk and refused to drink the milk we got at school. Of course there were children who liked it, so it was usually easy enough to get rid of it without having to resort to pouring it down the drain. Some of them might also have needed it because they weren't adequately fed at home, but I don't think there were many of those even in a school with a large slum area in its catchment area.

Milk in tea or on cereal or in custard etc is a different matter. But it's definitely one of those things that needs disguising!
I also hated School milk, always managed to give it away to someone who liked it. These days I buy semi skimmed long life milk to have with coffee and cereal. Bliss
Why wait for the storm to pass when you can dance in the rain

aron on Tue 12-Oct-2021 | 18:15PM
Reply #48

Offline aron

Not so much Bliss for me today though.. Boo hoo, I've finished the lovely dreamy creamy fridge-cold Guernsey,  I put some in my coffee and I drank the last of what was left of it, and will be getting a pint in every order from now on.

( Hope you enjoyed your holday and your Guernsey milk, Hotton )
the older I get -
the younger I was.

Hotton on Wed 13-Oct-2021 | 16:30PM
Reply #49

Offline Hotton

• hotton
Not so much Bliss for me today though.. Boo hoo, I've finished the lovely dreamy creamy fridge-cold Guernsey,  I put some in my coffee and I drank the last of what was left of it, and will be getting a pint in every order from now on.

( Hope you enjoyed your holday and your Guernsey milk, Hotton )
Actually tried more of the beer than the milk!
hotton

aron on Wed 13-Oct-2021 | 20:12PM
Reply #50

Offline aron

Woo - hoo !   good for you..
the older I get -
the younger I was.

ursus odiosis on Wed 20-Oct-2021 | 11:34AM
Reply #51

Offline ursus odiosis

I remember the beer in Guernsey. Flowers. When the bill came for the meal, I said: what's this, we didn't have any flowers. Good stuff.
What a bore it all is

Hotton on Wed 20-Oct-2021 | 16:19PM
Reply #52

Offline Hotton

• hotton
I remember the beer in Guernsey. Flowers. When the bill came for the meal, I said: what's this, we didn't have any flowers. Good stuff.
Not seen any Flowers beer in Guernsey but drank it in the UK. It is an old beer from the 1830's and was/is made in Stratford-on-Avon.
Liberation are the main brewers who own Butcombe in the UK. There was a micro brewery White Rock who went bust in August this year.
There is a new micro called The Little Big Brew company who make Nigel,Betty and Alen beers.
Seems they make Milk better than beer!
hotton

aron on Wed 20-Oct-2021 | 17:12PM
Reply #53

Offline aron

Just drank half a pint of the Channel Island Milk. So creamy .
the older I get -
the younger I was.

Lila1410 on Wed 20-Oct-2021 | 18:09PM
Reply #54

Online Lila1410

I don't drink milk on its own, only for cereal and tea/coffee.

Abel & Cole milk tastes better than Sainsbury's. I suppose it depends how the cows are fed.

Hotton on Thu 21-Oct-2021 | 15:42PM
Reply #55

Offline Hotton

• hotton
I drink fully skimmed milk which my wife(Hardly drinks any) refers to as "coloured water".
I recently drank 2 cartons of goats Milk my daughter left after staying a while when we were recently away. Thought it was good as is the cheese.
hotton

Lila1410 on Thu 21-Oct-2021 | 17:40PM
Reply #56

Online Lila1410

I don't like goat's ,milk or goat's cheese.

aron on Thu 21-Oct-2021 | 19:14PM
Reply #57

Offline aron

I don't drink milk on its own, only for cereal and tea/coffee.

Abel & Cole milk tastes better than Sainsbury's. I suppose it depends how the cows are fed.

I can't remember the last time I ate any cereal, and as for the  taste of the milk, I suppose if you drink skimmed milk,( your wife's quite correct Hotton )... it depends on how much water the cows have drunk ?
the older I get -
the younger I was.

Lila1410 on Yesterday at 07:44
Reply #58

Online Lila1410

Abel & Cole skimmed milk is OK, if it's Sainsbury's I prefer semi-skiimmed.

I suppose they all let cows drink as much water as they want? Don't know if that'd affect the milk as most of it would be urinated anyway.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal