* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

* Corona Virus Advice

Dear Members and Visitors,

Just in case you've not seen the latest advice / guidelines regarding the Corona Virus (Covid-19), please visit the Government's website via the link below so you can be as up to date as possible.

The UK Government's Advice/Rules on Corona Virus

Also, the NHS website has a lot of useful information.

NHS Corona Virus Advice

I hope you are all following the rules in self-isolating and social-distancing. Only a fool would think they would never catch it and mix with others only to spread it further. Please do follow the guidelines and the Government's rulings.

Be safe, be healthy and be wise.

Regards
Hal
www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk
THIS BOARD IS PUBLIC - VISIBLE TO EVERYONE!

Topic: Why The French Don't Like Us Very Much

Easy T on Wed 02-Dec-2015 | 07:31AM
Reply #15

Offline Easy T

• Sadly passed away
The warning sign is because this topic can be seen on the World Wide Web as it is on our 'front page' rather than 'behind closed doors' so to speak

Lila1410 on Wed 02-Dec-2015 | 07:37AM
Reply #16

Offline Lila1410

I hadn't noticed before that daft old duffer had left.

Walkingwithtime on Thu 31-Mar-2016 | 17:10PM
Reply #17

Walkingwithtime

The French and Germans just love the control they have over us through the E U, why? So many reasons for the French but easy one to answer for the Germans. The E U has taken us for a ride over the years while the French and Germans have sat and sniggered. I do like the French people, yet when it comes to politics run for the hills as they go on for weeks on end over such small points, a bit like me here. lol 

krypton on Thu 13-Oct-2016 | 21:54PM
Reply #18

Offline krypton

there was another doco sometime back about French village life and its customs and practices - rather charming and they seem to cherish and maintain these customs and practices with much more zeal than the British? ::)
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.................. Albert Camus

Mong KH on Fri 04-Nov-2016 | 09:16AM
Reply #19

Offline Mong KH

Why the French don't like us very much? You may as well ask why most of the world doesn't like us very much and the EU will be overjoyed to get us out as quickly as possible! Could it be because we're fundamentally stupid? Surely in the ignorance stakes we come a close second behind the Americans as a nation of sheep who swallow all the tripe our tabloid newspapers feed us?

I felt there was a glimmer of hope for the UK and the world in the years following WW2. Then Britain gave Europe some tremendous assistance and Europe was grateful for it. We had a strong state which was led by humanists and others who put social progress before financial gain. Many beneficial organizations were founded, including NATO and, dare one say it, the Common Market. And our foreign policy wasn't all bad then. But the "special relationship" has been catastrophic and has lost us the respect of many nations across the globe. We may as well be the 51st state of the American Union. Funny how people say we got bossed around by Europe (our lack of enthusiasm to participate constructively would be more accurate) but are happy to have this country bossed by the USA!

Mind you, many here don't like the French either, for no apparently good reason. My father-in-law is a typical example. But he adores a French friend because "she's different". I don't suppose the Germans are much more popular either.

Hope for the best, expect the worst, and take what comes.

krypton on Sun 18-Mar-2018 | 07:43AM
Reply #20

Offline krypton

I hadn't noticed before that daft old duffer had left.

that's great heh - guest comes on and gets us all talking!!
“In the midst of winter, I found there was, within me, an invincible summer.................. Albert Camus

Lila1410 on Sun 18-Mar-2018 | 07:48AM
Reply #21

Offline Lila1410

(That was quite a long time ago.)

guest2620 on Sun 08-Apr-2018 | 14:48PM
Reply #22

guest2620

Part of my ancestry is French, I don't think they look down on the Brits, although this CRAZY Brexit has really screwed things up. :?:

Lila1410 on Sun 08-Apr-2018 | 16:19PM
Reply #23

Offline Lila1410

that's great heh - guest comes on and gets us all talking!!

daft old duffer was a member http://www.fiftyplusforum.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=14602.msg475099#msg475099

As I understand it only became a guest when leaving.  And so did dinnerlaydee.

guest1273 on Sun 08-Apr-2018 | 16:38PM
Reply #24

guest1273

Part of my ancestry is French, I don't think they look down on the Brits, although this CRAZY Brexit has really screwed things up. :?:
Do you think the French will like us any the less after we leave the European Union?

Orac on Thu 12-Apr-2018 | 23:31PM
Reply #25

Online Orac

• * * * BEHAVE!!!! * * *
  • Administrator
  • Growing old disgracefully
Not as individuals, no . . . . . . but as a nation? Definitely!

Where I live (when I'm in France) I'm within sight of the Spanish border and the French love us because we're not Spanish. Needless to say, the Spanish love us because we're not French! As for the Andorrans just round the corner, they love anyone with money to spend. :chuckle:
Someone told me that women like a man in uniform! - I bought most of mine on eBay!!

jock364 on Fri 13-Apr-2018 | 00:17AM
Reply #26

Offline jock364

• Labore et Scientia
The Scots and the French have always got on well - even today. It's an English problem.

Orac on Fri 13-Apr-2018 | 06:32AM
Reply #27

Online Orac

• * * * BEHAVE!!!! * * *
  • Administrator
But it's like most non-Dutch think Holland and The Netherlands are the same thing; the French, along with most other nationalities, think Great Britain and the United Kingdom are the same thing and that Scotland is a part of England anyway. :chuckle:
Someone told me that women like a man in uniform! - I bought most of mine on eBay!!

guest1273 on Fri 13-Apr-2018 | 08:03AM
Reply #28

guest1273

Not as individuals, no . . . . . . but as a nation? Definitely!

Where I live (when I'm in France) I'm within sight of the Spanish border and the French love us because we're not Spanish. Needless to say, the Spanish love us because we're not French! As for the Andorrans just round the corner, they love anyone with money to spend. :chuckle:
That's exactly my experience (of Andorra (and also of France and the French). I'm in France most years as my father lives there in the summer. The French like the English, but there's a centuries-old competitiveness between the nations. There's a bit more needle from the Northern French than those in the South perhaps, unsurprisingly.

I think that as a nation, we have rather more in common with the Germans, really.

Orac on Fri 13-Apr-2018 | 09:21AM
Reply #29

Online Orac

• * * * BEHAVE!!!! * * *
  • Administrator
Ah! - My house is almost certainly amongst the thousand most southerly in the whole of France and I have more French friends than British friends there.

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal