* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

Personal attacks will not be tolerated anywhere on this site, offending posts may be removed without consultation and warnings will be issued.
THIS BOARD IS PUBLIC - VISIBLE TO EVERYONE!

Poll

Should Scotland vote for Independence from Great Britain?

Yes
7 (20.6%)
No
27 (79.4%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Voting closed: Fri 16-May-2014 | 16:43PM

Topic: Should Scotland vote for Independence from Great Britain?

Hal on Wed 16-Apr-2014 | 16:43PM

Offline Hal

• Founder of FPF.
  • Smile - You know it makes sense :)
    • https://www.facebook.com/Chas.Large
    • Yes
    • Chas Large's Website
A Poll to ask if Scotland should vote for Independence from Great Britain?

It could be good or bad for both Britain and Scotland.

Guests are welcome to comment but sadly are unable to vote.

For MEMBERS ONLY, there is already a discussion running about this issue HERE.
« Last Edit: Wed 16-Apr-2014 | 16:54PM by Hal »
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
  • Read 30961 times
  • Category Front Page
Comments: 93

auldheid on Wed 16-Apr-2014 | 20:05PM
Reply #1

auldheid

So far only one for.

I wonder who that could be?

topol on Wed 16-Apr-2014 | 20:09PM
Reply #2

topol

There are times when I think my signature applies.........

Bandana on Wed 16-Apr-2014 | 21:01PM
Reply #3

Bandana

I'm old fashioned enough to salute the Scots for their adherence to GB to our mutual benefit, and also to honour their heroic contribution to the various wars we've fought together.

I genuinely feel that we'd be not so effective apart as we are together, and hope they vote to stay.

But, on the downside, if they really want to go then we should wish them well, and insist they pay what they owe on our collective debt.

They could then leave with a clear conscience !

Griffon on Thu 17-Apr-2014 | 16:24PM
Reply #4

Offline Griffon

This country is more than the sum of its parts.  I hope they vote to stay because I really do believe in the positive message that we are better together.  I believe that with my whole heart. We keep hearing all this stuff about economics, the pound, oil, defence blar blar blar. Forget all that. We're a single people for goodness sake ... a  nation all living on this scepter'd isle, this fortress built by Nature for herself, against infection and the hand of war ...... Let us not fragment this precious stone set in a silver sea.

magellan on Thu 17-Apr-2014 | 16:55PM
Reply #5

Online magellan

• you can call me Mag
  • Global Moderator
  • fledged faffer
Independence is a romantic dream for those living in the past. In the modern world, we're all global citizens, or at least Europeans. The days of Us and Them should be consigned to the history books. Devolved powers are fine, self-determination is a myth.

Many in England have Scots ancestry (me included), many in Scotland have English ancestry, we're two sides of the same coin and should remain so.
Think first, write after.

Griffon on Thu 17-Apr-2014 | 18:23PM
Reply #6

Offline Griffon

I agree with you.  But I think as islanders we're better being a single "us" instead of several "us's"

A fragmented UK will make us more inward looking and parochial I think.

Caedmon on Sun 20-Apr-2014 | 13:31PM
Reply #7

Offline Caedmon

• I'm loving retirement from the rat race and writin
It hardly matters since the sovereignty of nation states is just about fully eroded these days. However, the more that sundry Westminster politicians tell the Scots what to do guarantees that the Scots will tell Westminster where to go.
Silence is golden

magellan on Sun 20-Apr-2014 | 16:55PM
Reply #8

Online magellan

• you can call me Mag
  • Global Moderator
  • fledged faffer
I thought it was more a case of telling the Scots what they can't do (ie keep the pound). Is it so very different from Alex Salmond telling the rUK we can't keep Polaris where we want to for the nation's defence?

slobwise on Sun 20-Apr-2014 | 22:49PM
Reply #9

Offline slobwise

• ars longa vita brevis
I thought it was more a case of telling the Scots what they can't do (ie keep the pound). Is it so very different from Alex Salmond telling the rUK we can't keep Polaris where we want to for the nation's defence?

Yes it is different. One of the SNP aims is for an independent Scotland to be free of nuclear weapons. This was clearly stated in the election manifesto and therefore must be taken to represent the will of the people of Scotland.

Perhaps your understanding of this issue might be enhanced if the weapons were stored at a similar distance from London, or another major English city, as they are from Glasgow.

Do you seriously imagine that any single English region/county would welcome them on the doorstep?

Not a chance.

There is not, and will not be, a Westminster politician that would even try to convince any of their English voters that they should host such an obscenity.

magellan on Mon 21-Apr-2014 | 07:35AM
Reply #10

Online magellan

• you can call me Mag
  • Global Moderator
  • fledged faffer
I take your point about it being a completely different issue. I was more interested in the approach of telling people what they can or can't do in common.

Whatever you think of Britain's nuclear deterrent (and I'm no supporter), if it's to be kept, it has to be based somewhere. Tristan da Cunha perhaps?

Cheshire Cath on Mon 21-Apr-2014 | 10:08AM
Reply #11

Cheshire Cath

This country is more than the sum of its parts.  I hope they vote to stay because I really do believe in the positive message that we are better together.  I believe that with my whole heart. We keep hearing all this stuff about economics, the pound, oil, defence blar blar blar. Forget all that. We're a single people for goodness sake ... a  nation all living on this scepter'd isle, this fortress built by Nature for herself, against infection and the hand of war ...... Let us not fragment this precious stone set in a silver sea.

A single people? No, English, Scottish, Welsh. OK, there were Ancient Britons, but I doubt if Shakespeare ever used the word "British". An independent Scotland would give the English a chance to reassert their own separate identity.

Davetou on Wed 23-Apr-2014 | 12:53PM
Reply #12

Offline Davetou

• Forgive me. I just aint as clever as you.
I have said it before and I am prepared to repeat myself.....The Scots are responsible to a large extent and in many ways for putting the GREAT in Britain.  We shall be the poorer if they should vote to leave the Union and I heartily hope they will defer to the NO vote.
IF YOU LISTEN I MIGHT JUST SAY SOMETHING WORTH LISTENING TO.  NO PROMISSES

magellan on Thu 24-Apr-2014 | 12:36PM
Reply #13

Online magellan

• you can call me Mag
  • Global Moderator
  • fledged faffer
An independent Scotland would give the English a chance to reassert their own separate identity.

I don't want to assert my separate English identity. I want to feel I'm an inhabitant of the British Isles (yes, including Ireland) trying hard to be a good European and world citizen. Sovereignty, with its artificial boundaries, has had its day and is largely responsible for many of the conflicts around the world (witness Ukraine, Sudan, Iraq etc). For that reason, if I had a vote in it, I would reject the whole notion of Scottish 'independence'.

AzBuKa on Tue 29-Apr-2014 | 15:18PM
Reply #14

AzBuKa

I don't care very much if the Scots gain independence, but there are one or two caveats to this

1. Salmond and his lot seem to have the idea that they can wangle their way into keeping everything British that they reckon they can't do without - No! It's either complete independence or nothing. They should not be allowed to cherry pick, thereby turning into a parasite state:

2. They won't be automatically admitted into the EU, so let's close the border and require all residents this side of it whose place of birth is Scotland to either return to their Homeland forthwith or face deportation, or apply immediately for British citizenship. Those who actually already reside in their Homeland should be made aware that their British Passport would no longer be valid