* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

THIS BOARD IS PUBLIC - VISIBLE TO EVERYONE!

Topic: Bread

Lindy on Fri 11-Jul-2014 | 13:49pm
Reply #15

Offline Lindy

I'll put it up on the food and drink pages later today.
Time spent on things that make you happy is never wasted.

Dorothyofoz on Fri 11-Jul-2014 | 17:49pm
Reply #16

Dorothyofoz

So you see folks, I am not the only person to think home made is tops.  There are so many different breads, but not one shop loaf tastes as good as home made.

Please share your version of the sour dough Dorothyofox, I make a started 5 days prior to making the sour dough, whats your recipe over there in Florida.

This is the one I've been using and the bread raises nicely and comes out nice and fluffy.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Sourdough-Bread-III/Detail.aspx?event8=1&prop24=SR_Title&e11=sourdough%20bread&e8=Quick%20Search&event10=1&e7=Home%20Page&soid=sr_results_p1i3

Pom on Mon 14-Jul-2014 | 09:03am
Reply #17

Offline Pom

• Pom better known as Janet
I have copied the recipe D. and will try it soon, have to make my own starter first, the ready made stuff upsets my husbands tum.
We learn something new every day.

I live in East Germany, if you would like to see where I live and meet my family I invite you to look at my 22 pictures.

Dorothyofoz on Thu 17-Jul-2014 | 16:57pm
Reply #18

Dorothyofoz

I've read all kinds of complicated instructions for making starter.  I went with a simple one. 
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of flour (whole wheat or bread flour)

Mix together and add the water and flour mixture daily until the starter looks fizzy and has a pungent aroma.  For me it's just a few days since I live in a humid climate. 

Pom on Thu 17-Jul-2014 | 18:15pm
Reply #19

Offline Pom

I've read all kinds of complicated instructions for making starter.  I went with a simple one. 
1/2 cup of water
1/2 cup of flour (whole wheat or bread flour)

Mix together and add the water and flour mixture daily until the starter looks fizzy and has a pungent aroma.  For me it's just a few days since I live in a humid climate.

Plus a desertspoon of raw brown sugar, a recipe I have used for years from Cranks vegetarian cook book,  I am not vegetarian, they have some tasty recipes though. Made my starter today, weather is rather warm, 32c in the shade, so it will only need 3 days I think, the nose will tell.

I live in East Germany, if you would like to see where I live and meet my family I invite you to look at my 22 pictures.

Dorothyofoz on Sun 20-Jul-2014 | 01:44am
Reply #20

Dorothyofoz

I don't use sugar in my starter and it comes out fine.  What is the sugar supposed to do?

Pom on Sun 20-Jul-2014 | 12:26pm
Reply #21

Offline Pom

I don't use sugar in my starter and it comes out fine.  What is the sugar supposed to do?

No idea dear, its just in cranks recipe so like a sheep I followed it, next time I will save on the sugar. Havenīt made the loaf yet, I ran out of flour making my normal batch of 4 loaves on Monday and its been toooo hot to go shopping, 34°c in the shade today. After 3 days I put the starter in the fridge, hope it will still work.  x-f

Dorothyofoz on Sun 20-Jul-2014 | 20:21pm
Reply #22

Dorothyofoz

I've read that you can just put it back out on the counter, add the flour and water daily and wait for it to get fizzy again.  It works for me. 

Van der Merwe on Wed 23-Jul-2014 | 11:28am
Reply #23

Offline Van der Merwe

• Yes
Do any of you put a quarter teaspoon of ascorbic acid (vit C) into the  mix for wholemeal bread? I have read that it improves the rise when the bread is baked. I've recently added pure wheat gluten to my mix which seems to improve the texture of the bread.

Idiots are of two kinds: those who try to be smart and those who think they are smart

Katyblue on Wed 23-Jul-2014 | 22:21pm
Reply #24

Offline Katyblue

• Don't count the days: make the days count.
I usually put a couple of crushed ascorbic acid tablets in my bread, as it does seem to help the texture. Only about a quarter of  teaspoon of sugar to get the yeast started, and the same of salt. (400 g loaf)