* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

Personal attacks will not be tolerated anywhere on this site, offending posts may be removed without consultation and warnings will be issued.
THIS BOARD IS PUBLIC - VISIBLE TO EVERYONE!

Topic: Bread

Pom on Mon 23-Jun-2014 | 17:21PM

Offline Pom

• Pom better known as Janet
If you have not tasted `properī home made bread then I donīt think you know what real bread is !!!

Judy Dench & Her late husband Michael made an advert years ago, Michael said "Do you know they are not allowed to call this butter" and Judy replied "but they are allowed to call this bread" Its still true.
We learn something new every day.

I live in East Germany, if you would like to see where I live and meet my family I invite you to look at my 22 pictures.
  • Read 11677 times
  • Category Front Page
Comments: 24

PA on Mon 23-Jun-2014 | 17:42PM
Reply #1

Offline PA

• yes
    • YES
I have made my own bread, in fact during the 1970's I never bought bread at all. It was all home-made.

These days with only the two of us and me liking brown bread, especially granary and Malcolm preferring white bread we buy from the supermarket.

Morrison's Bakery do a very nice granary and also something called Tiger bread which is the one Malcolm likes.

I get it sliced at the bakery as we both prefer thick sliced bread, then when we get home we bag it up in individual portions and freeze it.  Then each day we each have 'fresh' bread.
Move on - it's just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book - just turn the page.

Katyblue on Tue 24-Jun-2014 | 16:57PM
Reply #2

Offline Katyblue

• Don't count the days: make the days count.
The trouble with homemade bread is one eats too much! The idea of freezing portions is good, but I don't think it would stop me getting an extra one out. I got a breadmaker nearly four years ago, and have enjoyed making various kinds of bread, my favourite at the moment is a half and half wholemeal/white loaf made with walnut oil instead of butter or sometimes olive oil which is nice for salad sandwiches. You can slice it thick or thin.  Lovely when just warm with crispy crust!!

Van der Merwe on Sun 06-Jul-2014 | 14:42PM
Reply #3

Offline Van der Merwe

• Yes
Since retiring I have been making my own bread, first with a bread machine-an expensive waste of money, and more recently with my Kenwood chef. The only problem that I have, apart from eating too much of it, is that my wholemeal bread is always a bit heavy. Fine for toasting but not so good to eat untoasted. I've now sent off for some Vital Gluten additive, which I understand boosts the gluten in wholmeal flour, and should produce a lighter loaf.
One other problem I face is that most bread tins are far too shallow to produce a decent loaf. I think I may have found the answer in 2lb tins made by Prestige. They are hard to find but I've discovered they are stocked by Debenhams. They also have heat proof lugs so that I can tip the hot bread out onto the baking sheet to give it an extra five minutes in the oven to avoid a soggy bottom (by courtesy of Queen Delia!).

Idiots are of two kinds: those who try to be smart and those who think they are smart

Pom on Sun 06-Jul-2014 | 15:33PM
Reply #4

Offline Pom

I also use the Kenwood chef. My wholemeal is made with equal parts of white & wholemeal, I know it's not the same,but it still tastes good. Rye is also a tasty loaf, made with 1lb white 8oz rye. I do not use any fat in my bread. Two tablespoons of milk powder in with a plain white mix is also good. Proper yeast is better than dry in my book, Tesco were always very obliging when I lived in England. I have been offered a bread machine in the past, but having tasted the result before hand I declined the offer.

I live in East Germany, if you would like to see where I live and meet my family I invite you to look at my 22 pictures.

Van der Merwe on Sun 06-Jul-2014 | 20:18PM
Reply #5

Offline Van der Merwe

• Yes
I also use the Kenwood chef. My wholemeal is made with equal parts of white & wholemeal, I know it's not the same,but it still tastes good. Rye is also a tasty loaf, made with 1lb white 8oz rye. I do not use any fat in my bread. Two tablespoons of milk powder in with a plain white mix is also good. Proper yeast is better than dry in my book, Tesco were always very obliging when I lived in England. I have been offered a bread machine in the past, but having tasted the result before hand I declined the offer.
How much water do you add to the pound and a half of flour,and does leaving the butter/fat out make the bread dry?
Also by adding rye do you end up with something like austrian rye bread rather than the heavier german bread?
« Last Edit: Sun 06-Jul-2014 | 20:21PM by Van der Merwe »

Idiots are of two kinds: those who try to be smart and those who think they are smart

Pom on Mon 07-Jul-2014 | 09:45AM
Reply #6

Offline Pom

How much water do you add to the pound and a half of flour,and does leaving the butter/fat out make the bread dry?
Also by adding rye do you end up with something like austrian rye bread rather than the heavier german bread?

My recipe.
1lb 8oz. of bread flour  (all varieties) I normally use 12oz to 1 lb. white and make up to 1lb. 8oz. with another flour.
2 flat tsp. salt
1 oz fresh yeast 1 tsp. sugar
14 fl.oz. (3/4 pt.) warm water.
Method.
dissolve the yeast in 4 fl oz of the warm water adding 1 tsp. sugar. Leave the mix in a warm place to foam /about 15 mins.)
Warm the flour (with salt added) in the microwave for 30 secs (for each 1lb 8oz.) on full. and sieve (or not) into the Kenwood bowl.
Pour in the yeast mix and add the rest of the warm water (10 fl.oz.)
Mix with the dough hook for 5 mins on slow.
Allow to rise for 45 mins.
Knock back in the Kenwood  for 1-2 mins
Shape and put into bread tin to rise for a further 45 mins.
Bake for 40 mins on the bottom shelf 195°c
Turn out onto oven rack and bake for the last 5 mins upside down.
I make 4 loaves at one time which fills the oven rack.
When cold I slice with an electric slicing machine, Put into freezer bags and into the freezer.
The Rye bread is made with about 1lb. white 8 oz. Rye (or more white and less Rye, you have to experiment.) It is a light Rye loaf. You need a tiny bit more water with Rye flour, only about an extra desertspoon, you can tell if its not soft enough add a tiny bit more by making a hole in the dough and drop a tspn. full of water in.
I also add things like milk powder, sunflower, pumpkin, poppy seeds or dried onion, (a few sultanas with extra sugar, dryed milk and some mixed spice) very yummy.
All my visitors tell me its the best bread they have ever tasted and I should open a bakery, TOO old for that now.
I used to work as a delivery (boy) for a baker and grocer when I was 14, I never saw them put fat into ordinary bread. (Mr. Turners told my Mum I was the best delivery boy he had ever had, (even though I`m female.)
A friend, who was a retired baker, said he never put fat into bread either. I donīt know what they add to bread these days to make it last for days or weeks, in real bread days one bought fresh bread daily.
Now the same thing has happened with milk, you had to buy it fresh each day, now I buy semi skimmed that has a 2 week or more best before date.
Just had a thought, if we eat and drink all this stuff that lasts longer does that mean we will last longer !!!!! :hmm:

Van der Merwe on Mon 07-Jul-2014 | 10:41AM
Reply #7

Offline Van der Merwe

• Yes
Thanks for that I must try making some rye bread.
As to your last comment, some scientists do indeed belive that some of the preservatives used in food manufacture do indeed benefit us in terms of preventing disease.

Van der Merwe on Wed 09-Jul-2014 | 21:22PM
Reply #8

Offline Van der Merwe

• Yes
Thanks for that I must try making some rye bread.
As to your last comment, some scientists do indeed belive that some of the preservatives used in food manufacture do indeed benefit us in terms of preventing disease.

Hi Pom Tried your recipe this afternoon and it turned out very well. A nice loaf, very tasty, only worry was it looked a little pale when I took it out the oven. I added a tablespoon of Vital Wheat Gluten which seemed to help and I used fresh yeast by courtesy of the baker at Tesco.
Thanks for your help much appreciated. Will now try it with a mixture of wholemeal flour and rye, increasing the amount of added gluten to one and half tablespoons.

Lindy on Wed 09-Jul-2014 | 21:51PM
Reply #9

Offline Lindy

White, hand made, fresh out of the oven and smelling delicious!  I have had spells of making my own bread over the decades and started again a few weeks ago when I saw an easy recipe in a magazine.  No stopping me now!  As OH comments, at least we know what's going in to it.
Time spent on things that make you happy is never wasted.

smarties on Wed 09-Jul-2014 | 22:06PM
Reply #10

Offline smarties

• yes
Ooo thats looks good Lindy.
I was wondering about making some wholemeal bread, has anyone any recipes please

I refuse to think of them as chin hair, prefer to think of them as stray eyebrow

Lindy on Wed 09-Jul-2014 | 22:39PM
Reply #11

Offline Lindy

This is a recipe that I've used for wholemeal or simply brown bread.  Very satisfied with it, but OH does like his white.... ::)

Link here.   There are loads more on the same site, all sorts of bread and all sorts of flour.
Time spent on things that make you happy is never wasted.

Dorothyofoz on Thu 10-Jul-2014 | 17:04PM
Reply #12

Dorothyofoz

I just started making bread a couple of months ago and pretty much have it down to a science.   I like sourdough bread and luckily Florida is the perfect climate to get fizzy starter.  Homemade bread is so much better than the stuff at the story with all those preservatives.

Pom on Thu 10-Jul-2014 | 17:44PM
Reply #13

Offline Pom

If you have not tasted `properī home made bread then I donīt think you know what real bread is !!!

I just started making bread a couple of months ago and pretty much have it down to a science.   I like sourdough bread and luckily Florida is the perfect climate to get fizzy starter.  Homemade bread is so much better than the stuff at the story with all those preservatives.

So you see folks, I am not the only person to think home made is tops.  There are so many different breads, but not one shop loaf tastes as good as home made.

Please share your version of the sour dough Dorothyofox, I make a started 5 days prior to making the sour dough, whats your recipe over there in Florida.

Van der Merwe on Fri 11-Jul-2014 | 13:04PM
Reply #14

Offline Van der Merwe

• Yes
White, hand made, fresh out of the oven and smelling delicious!  I have had spells of making my own bread over the decades and started again a few weeks ago when I saw an easy recipe in a magazine.  No stopping me now!  As OH comments, at least we know what's going in to it.

That white loaf looks pretty good. Are you willing to share the recipe/