* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

Personal attacks will not be tolerated anywhere on this site, offending posts may be removed without consultation and warnings will be issued.
THIS BOARD IS PUBLIC - VISIBLE TO EVERYONE!

Topic: Daft SPAM e-mails

Hal on Fri 16-May-2014 | 10:33AM

Offline Hal

• Founder of FPF.
  • Smile - You know it makes sense :)
    • https://www.facebook.com/Chas.Large
    • Yes
    • Chas Large's Website
There are some really daft SPAMMERS out there. Who in their right mind would respond to a SPAM e-mail like this?

Quote from: SPAM MAIL
Good day,
Please we need your current home address and telephone number etc. to
enable us to start sending your $10.5USD fund to you as we were instructed by IMF to
be sending you $5000.00 each day till the whole amount $10.5USD is
completely transferred to you,Now we need your
full name...........
Home Address............
Telephone number................
Age/sex................
monthly salary.....
Forward
moneygram45@gmail.com Or call
telephone
+229-6875-9805
MTCN: 02=11-06=40 and was sent by money in minutes to the Name that you forwarded to me. Please contact me as soon as possible for any other information.
THANKS Khalid musa.

Not only was the FROM address spoofed but the associated name was different and different again to the one at the bottom of this message.

Other daft examples welcome - please edit first though to remove any "real" names.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't
  • Read 12463 times
  • Category Front Page
Comments: 17

auldheid on Fri 16-May-2014 | 14:11PM
Reply #1

auldheid

Sending $5,000 per day it isn't going to take them long to reach $10.5 USD
 :D

Co-incidentally, the same day I was advised by my pension provider that my tax had doubled, I received an e-mail from HMRC wanting to refund five times my new figure
 :?:

ebony on Fri 23-May-2014 | 13:48PM
Reply #2

Offline ebony

I think these spammers think we are stupid. Same as spammers who have targeted vulnerable women on dating sites.

Caedmon on Fri 30-May-2014 | 19:25PM
Reply #3

Offline Caedmon

• I'm loving retirement from the rat race and writin
Beware - the stupid spammers are not as thick as you think:

The bad writing is so obvious that anyone with half a brain would not be taken in - that means that the very few who do respond are, for one reason or other, likely to be easily taken for all their dosh.

It takes time to nurture a 'mark'  - they don't want to waste their time on those who see through their obvious con. So don't laugh - it's all a technique.
Silence is golden

Hal on Mon 02-Jun-2014 | 16:08PM
Reply #4

Offline Hal

• Founder of FPF.
    • Yes
    • Chas Large's Website
And here's another one that got through the filters.

Quote from: spam Dell job message
Would you like to earn as you work?
Dell is committed to global citizenship by operating in a responsible and sustainable manner around the globe. As part of our Multi-Level Marketing scheme, we need capable hands to act as representative and to receive funds in your Country on the company's behalf.
Dell needs a Money collector in your Country; we are into supplies of Printers & Ink, Laptops & Net books, PDA, Monitors, Software, and Major exporters' E.T.C. These we supply to our clients all over the World.
This Job proposal can be taken as a part time job as it has no negative effect to your present job status.
Note that you will earn 10% of every payment you receive on the company's behalf. Reply for application details upon your interest.
Thanks
Mr David Zuma
Admin Marketing Manager.{South African Branch}

PS; the web address for Dell in South Africa is Dell.co.za.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

Mr Tom on Mon 02-Jun-2014 | 16:19PM
Reply #5

Offline Mr Tom

• yes
I am getting 2 -3 times a week from an asian saying that I have been overcharged and they want to pay me back, but of course I have to answer security questions 1st. As soon as I asked who is supposed to be paying me and why he hung up.

The calls always come in when my father is having his afternoon nap, most annoying.
The only thing you should truly believe in, is what you say.

warleyron on Wed 22-Oct-2014 | 05:36AM
Reply #6

Online warleyron

In SW Essex

AzBuKa on Mon 27-Oct-2014 | 23:26PM
Reply #7

AzBuKa

Caedmon is right. These people are not as "Daft" as their messages make them out to be. They are not "daft spammers" they are dangerous scammers - and their emails definitely do catch some people out. A lot of the bad English usage is not always intentional, though (Some of it is in certain scams) it's mainly because English is not their first language and also because many of the original scripts were not in English in the first instance, so have been run through translation software. Many of the West African scammers use a mixture of Pidgin English and their own tribal language for day-to-day communication and even the better educated of them frequently inadvertently slip into their colloquial languages when they are 'working' a victim. They will 'Bomb' hundreds of email addresses in one hit, knowing that the huge majority of them will not bear fruit - but a few will.

Hal, that one that you quote is a very common scamming technique and I know it seems to most people that it is incredible that people would respond to it, but many do. I do  ;).

By the way, the typical emails scammer who is after your money via 'advanced fee fraud', or 'Romance' fraud is really not interested in stealing your personal details -in fact to do so will almost certainly ruin his scam. In respect of this, the emails that attempt to con you into clicking on the links in their messages (phishing) are the ones to trash immediately without opening the links.

I have responded countless times to ones similar to that one in Hal's post and have never found that they have taken a blind bit of notice of the rubbish I've sent them as 'personal details'. They have simply continued on to the next phase of the scam. It's clear that they don't even bother to glance at it any longer than for it to register that something's been sent. They are far too interested in the fact that they have found another victim. There is only one thing that drives them on. Here's a clue to what it is (I had informed my 'lady love' that I had been attacked and stabbed on my way to send 'her' some cash via Western Union, and had the money stolen):

Please I am very sorry for what happened to you my love I thank GOD YOU ARE ALIVE.PLEASE.take good care of yourself honey, this a sad news.your life is more vital to me not money.

Please kindly use western union money transfer. ... kindly please use western union money transfer or moneygram to send the money.
.... when are you sending the money tell me... If you are using western union money transfer tell me or if you using moneygram to send the money let me know....Waiting for money

-All this in the one email!

'She' has sent me messages in the most florid, but badly-written terms passionately vowing 'her' undying love for me and has even sent nude photographs, allegedly of 'her'. If I fail to respond in 24 hours at any time, along comes another one telling me how desperate 'she' is becoming waiting for me to send the fee required by 'her' banker or lawyer in order to release 'her' multi-million dollar inheritance into my bank account, so 'she' can come and marry me and share the money with me.

joysie21 on Fri 03-Apr-2015 | 21:27PM
Reply #8

Online joysie21

Ive had  a couple lately one from a army caption also one from a court stating I had 31 days to attend court which went in my spam box  then I delete them

How can we stop them  as my friend says she can block hers coming through but doesnt tell me how to

Hal on Sat 04-Apr-2015 | 08:55AM
Reply #9

Offline Hal

• Founder of FPF.
    • Yes
    • Chas Large's Website
Ive had  a couple lately one from a army caption also one from a court stating I had 31 days to attend court which went in my spam box  then I delete them

How can we stop them  as my friend says she can block hers coming through but doesnt tell me how to
How can we block them? it depends on what service/software you use.

If you use a webmail service like Gmail, Hotmail/Outlook, Yahoo or even AOL, they have a built in anti-spam service that works really well to filter out the crap.

If you just have an e-mail program like Outlook/Outlook Express/Livemail, then you need to TRAIN it to filter the junk by moving the received junk mail from your Inbox to the Junk Mail folder but do tell us in a separate topic in Computer Problems and we can advise as necessary.

joysie21 on Tue 26-May-2015 | 10:43AM
Reply #10

Online joysie21

Hal just seen your reply I do use gmail

Also I had another one the other day from nat west bank stating they are closing down my internet banking as something wasnt right I cant remember the name they called it now which I think was genuine.I  dont use online banking so deleted it ,

Now I cant find it Is there a way of finding this email ??

Hal on Tue 26-May-2015 | 11:37AM
Reply #11

Offline Hal

• Founder of FPF.
    • Yes
    • Chas Large's Website
Hal just seen your reply I do use gmail

Also I had another one the other day from nat west bank stating they are closing down my internet banking as something wasnt right I cant remember the name they called it now which I think was genuine.I  dont use online banking so deleted it ,

Now I cant find it Is there a way of finding this email ??
Most likely in the BIN. Look down the left side for BIN, if you can't see it, click the down arrow next to MORE and it should be there.

CeeCee on Tue 26-May-2015 | 11:43AM
Reply #12

CeeCee

Several times a week for the last couple of years I have received emails from Fanbox telling me of the thousands of dollars awaiting confirmation of my details, today's below:

FanBox loves its members and has taken proactive measures to protect you and your earnings. But we need your help.

To keep you safe, recently we launched free account protection. Our records indicate the following status for your account (your earnings: $1,597.46):

1. Security question Status: Incomplete  Complete now
2. Validate your identity Status: Incomplete  Complete now
3. Mobile phone Status: Incomplete  Complete now

These steps help us identify you as the owner of your account when you write to us for help, or attempt to cash out your earnings.

Do you need help? Chat with a community expert.

Needless to say I have never opened the email nor responded in any way.  I just want to know how to prevent the constant flow?  I use Outlook.

« Last Edit: Tue 26-May-2015 | 11:45AM by CeeCee »

Hal on Tue 26-May-2015 | 12:10PM
Reply #13

Offline Hal

• Founder of FPF.
    • Yes
    • Chas Large's Website
Several times a week for the last couple of years I have received emails from Fanbox telling me of the thousands of dollars awaiting confirmation of my details, today's below:

Needless to say I have never opened the email nor responded in any way.  I just want to know how to prevent the constant flow?  I use Outlook.
If you use the Outlook / Outlook express Windows client, RIGHT CLICK the e-mail in the inbox, select JUNK then BLOCK SENDER.

If you use the web based Outlook.com version, click the down arrown next to JUNK in the tom menu and select either Junk or Phishing Scam.

Both of these creates a rule to look for these incoming messages and move them to the junk mail folder. In the Outlook/Outlook express it stops there until you delete the contents but in Outlook.com, it trains the mailserver to look for such messages and filter them before they even get to your inbox.

GrannyJ on Sun 31-May-2015 | 20:34PM
Reply #14

Online GrannyJ

• I
I've had a few spam/scam e-mails, but not lately. But what I've been getting just recently is spam invites on  skype. I had three yesterday and have just had one. They say they are in the united states army, either in Afghanistan or Syria, on peace keeping missions.
They are usually in their 50s about to retire. and widowed or divorced, and have one or two children. Once I've found out enough about them I decline, report as scam and block them. I would close Skype, but I do have a good friend with whom I chat every so often.
Life is a Dream but death a reality

joysie21 on Sat 09-Jan-2016 | 20:27PM
Reply #15

Online joysie21

At last I have found how to block  someone sending me spam mail +-+

I have another problem I send jokes to people in a block from my contact list  but my other friends can see the email addresses how can I prevent this please

Hal on Sun 10-Jan-2016 | 15:58PM
Reply #16

Offline Hal

• Founder of FPF.
    • Yes
    • Chas Large's Website
Send the mail to yourself and use the BCC (Blind Carbon Copy) for everyone else or a group. Only your email will be revealed to everyone else.

Hotton on Wed 20-Jan-2016 | 17:30PM
Reply #17

Offline Hotton

• hotton
Not a problem but over the last few days I have been getting about 10 a day asking me to become a tester for Dyson.
hotton