* Welcome Guests

Welcome Guest. We're a PRIVATE FORUM for Members only.
As a Guest this is all you'll be able to see. Why not register with us to see more?

Have you just signed up and not received your activation e-mail? please check your SPAM/JUNK folder in your e-mail program as some are being caught there. Similarly, a mistyped e-mail address won't work either. If you still have not received it please contact us by clicking HERE or by posting a message on our logging in problems board HERE.

Personal attacks will not be tolerated anywhere on this site, offending posts may be removed without consultation and warnings will be issued.

Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Front Page / Re: Harassment, Parliament and the BBC
« Last post by Beppy on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 15:56PM »
I wonder where all of these ill mannered men are? I don't know any so are they only men in positions of power?
« Last post by Robyn on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 15:53PM »
I'm finding quoting complicated so Robyn, you are saying that it was acceptable and flattering for a complete stranger on public transport to pay a compliment with no encouragement. He could have been part of a team, one to distract and the other to steal your wallet.

Yet, the women who are ruining male reputations, careers, lives, with their allegations were in safe environments, places of work, social gatherings, meetings, with other people around who they knew. They were not at risk.

Women are not ruining men's reputations, ill-mannered men are doing that themselves.
« Last post by Robyn on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 15:52PM »
So really, very similar to being chatted up in Westminster or any other working environment so I'm pleased you took it as it was meant to be taken as in today's climate many might have been affronted.

No, not at all similar. I wasn't in the workplace and didn't feel threatened, humiliated or embarrassed.  The young man wasn't my boss so there was no imbalance of power in the encounter. 
« Last post by Astoria on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 15:33PM »

However I still find it difficult to understand how someone who reviles a man for making a clumsy but inoffensive remark to a woman who is know to him, enjoys advances from a completely unknown male on public transport.

I'm finding quoting complicated so Robyn, you are saying that it was acceptable and flattering for a complete stranger on public transport to pay a compliment with no encouragement. He could have been part of a team, one to distract and the other to steal your wallet.

Yet, the women who are ruining male reputations, careers, lives, with their allegations were in safe environments, places of work, social gatherings, meetings, with other people around who they knew. They were not at risk.
« Last post by Beppy on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 14:50PM »
I think that's different from a sleazy comment alone in a lift at work by the boss, or whoever he was.

I've been chatted up on buses and it made me laugh.  A young man asked me if I was 'single' and I asked him how old he was - 38 he said.  I said I'm old enough to be your mother, I don't mind he said.  It cheered me up actually.

So really, very similar to being chatted up in Westminster or any other working environment so I'm pleased you took it as it was meant to be taken as in today's climate many might have been affronted.
« Last post by Robyn on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:56PM »
I wouldn't have felt threatened by that either.  And just looked on it as a bit of Banter.
As, I think most of us are old enough to know the difference between, what is said as a joke. Or that said with an undercurrent of sleeze.

That's right Ellieni.  As I said, it cheered me up and gave me a laugh.
« Last post by ellieni on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:53PM »
I was in a public place, I felt safe, his manner was very nice.  I didn't feel threatened.

If he'd followed me off the bus that would have changed everything.

I have been followed off a tube train late at night (when I was in my teens) and that was terrifying.

I wouldn't have felt threatened by that either.  And just looked on it as a bit of Banter.
As, I think most of us are old enough to know the difference between, what is said as a joke. Or that said with an undercurrent of sleeze.
« Last post by SG on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:46PM »
I didn't pick at it, I didn't mention it at all in fact.  What I said was -

I understand the Yorkshire Ripper's manner was very nice in public, as was Fred West's . . .

However I still find it difficult to understand how someone who reviles a man for making a clumsy but inoffensive remark to a woman who is know to him, enjoys advances from a completely unknown male on public transport.
« Last post by Robyn on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:44PM »
Yes but we have to use our own judgement and I judged him to be pleasant and it cheered me up.  That's my experience and I was recounting it.  Why pick at it?

Edits are to be expected.
« Last post by SG on Mon 06-Nov-2017 | 13:42PM »
Er -  I'm not mocking them.  I'm simply pointing out that just because a complete stranger's manner is 'nice' it doesn't follow that he is - as plenty of women have found to their cost.

In addition, you had not added your edit -

If he'd followed me off the bus that would have changed everything.

I have been followed off a tube train late at night (when I was in my teens) and that was terrifying.

when I posted.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10